Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Failure to Attach: Cannot get email to attach with any regularity

Failure to Attach: Cannot get email to attach with any regularity

Hi Community,

We've been experiencing the darndest issue over the past year.  We're running ACT Premium 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 2 in a workgroup environment with about 12 active users.  And for some reason, when we try to attach an email to an ACT contact, sometimes it works and sometimes it just doesn't!  When it doesn't, we go through the Tools>Preferences>Email System Setup and make sure that's all properly configured.  And, oddly, I've noticed that, from time to time, the program "loses" the path or the password to the ACT database and this Setup process must be run again.  However, there seems to be no ryhme or reason to our Failure to Attach--it rarely works, and mostly a whole lot of nothing happens.  Quick attach doesn't work at all - it's the manual Attach Email to Contact that I'm talking about here. (Although it would be fantastic if Quick Attach did work... a girl can dream, can't she?)  Has anyone run into this and found a solution or have any ideas on where I could start, things to eliminate,  or things I could try?  The inconsistency is driving everyone in my office positively batty!

Thanks and Warm Regards,

Erinne

Dream Design Builders

San Diego, CA

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Failure to Attach: Cannot get email to attach with any regularity

This is the primary reason we created the ACT! Add-On product called Outlook IntegrateR1.  More info found here: http://www.designr1.com/shop/outlook-integrater1/ It only fixes the outlook email integration issues.  It does not fix any calendar or contact integration issues you may be having.

Sometimes the native ACT! integration with Outlook E-mail just plain stops working for no apparent reason.  You can reset prefs, delete unfiled messages, un/re install ACT! and Office, reboot, hope, pray, etc...  Basically, you will need to continue troubleshooting the email integration with Outlook as you have done for the last year, or look for an add-on to help out.

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic

Re: Failure to Attach: Cannot get email to attach with any regularity

Thanks for your response, Hamma.  I work for a construction company and our end users are decidedly not tech-savvy.  In my experience, there's quite a bit of hassle involved in getting a 3rd party add-in to function smoothly and consistently. (Companion Link has given me no end of trouble, and HandHeld Contact isn't much better.)  I have to think that the more go-between programs that are accessing, interpreting and modifying the same shared data at the same time, the more chance there is of something going wrong.  So while I appreciate your response and will look into it, I really would prefer not to have to install yet another 3rd party add-in to patch over the functionality that is supposed to be built-in.   Does anyone out there have a "native" solution? 

Failing that, does anyone out there have experience working with the add-on product referenced in Hamma's response?

Thanks everyone,

Erinne

Dream Design Builders