Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Failed to restore remote database - the SQL database instance is unavailable

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Failed to restore remote database - the SQL database instance is unavailable

[ Edited ]

Hoping someone can help as I am tearing my hair out on this one:  We run ACT Premium for WG v10.0.3.182 (Hotfix 1) under XP (SP2), with a mix of desktop users accessing the main contact database and laptop users running remote databases. Having moved all the way up from v6 and finally getting a relatively trouble-free installation at v10 we have elected not to go with v11 and v12 (somebody give me a good reason why we should...?).

Last week we had two laptops crash and burn - necessitating rebuilds and re-installs of ACT.  I re-created the remote databases for these two users from the server and dropped them onto the rebuilt laptops.    The re-installs of ACT appeared to be error free and we find that we can happily access the server-hosted main contact database using ACT on these laptops.  BUT - when I try to restore the remote databases from the .rdb files, I get the error message "Failed to restore remote database. The SQL database instance is unavailable" in each case.

The problem certainly seems to be linked to SQL.  The ACT install process suggests that it is going to install SQL to <C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server> but, examining the directory afterwards, nothing has been installed - the directory is empty.  And there is no sign of SQL in the Add/Remove Programs listing.  In the meantime all those users whose installations were working fine continue to work fine.

I have wondered whether virus scanning is relevant, but I believe I have disabled this for the time of the installation.  I haven't managed to find a similar situation through Googling and I am now starting to clutch at straws.  Any advice or suggestions would be gratefully received....

Andy

Message Edited by gyroman on 05-04-2010 04:59 PM

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author gyroman
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Failed to restore remote database - the SQL database instance is unavailable

Your issue is definitely with the SQL portion of the install, so we need to isolate where it is failing.  Look at the following folder and check the install log:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Summary.txt

If this file does not indicate where the issue lies, you'll need to run the steps in the following link to manually create the Act7 instance.  There will be a progress screen that indicates the components of SQL that are being installed - note which component it is failing on.

Manually create SQL (express) Act7 instance

Before attempting the install again, run the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility and remove any listings for SQL.  Here is a link to download this utility: Windows Installer Clean Up Utility

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Failed to restore remote database - the SQL database instance is unavailable

Have you chaecked to see if the SQL server is running? Right click on My Computer | Manage | Services
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Your message says that MS SQL is not listed in the Add/Remove programs list.  If SQL is indeed not installed, here is an article with instructions for installing SQL (and the Act7 instance): How to Install the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2005 (Express Edition) ACT7 Instance

Isolating the installation of SQL from the Act! install will allow you to more easily see errors with the SQL installation.  Should the SQL install fail, please provide any error messages you can obtain.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the responses.  To confirm there are no SQL processes running.  I tried to as Greg suggested - to install SQL manually, following the knowledgebase article, but with an error resulting:

For information, the opening dialogue of the install program asked me to check that all SQL programs were removed (using Add/remove programs) and also MSXML 6.0 Parser.  I didn't have any of these present, but had several MSXML 4.0 SP2 entries and an MSXML Service Pack 2 entry.  I left these alone.

The error message which followed was entitled Microsoft .NET Framework:  "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.  If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.  The system cannot find the file specified." I did not see any point in continuing

At the risk of swamping this report, hitting the 'Details' button on the error message brought up the following additional text:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(String fileName, String arguments)
   at SQLInstall.Form1.LaunchSQL()
   at SQLInstall.Form1.ProcessFiles()
   at SQLInstall.Form1.btnContinue_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3603 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
SQLInstall
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 10.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///E:/Dependencies/SQLInstall.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I'm afraid I'm still at a loss as to how to move forward.  Remember this re-install has failed on two machines in the same way.  The machines were rebuilt to a standard corporate specification which I guess MUST be slightly different to how the machines were previously built.

Andy

Look in the Event Viewer and see if it shows the file that is missing.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

I've deinstalled and reinstalled ACT and attempted to restore the remote database with the same error result - "Failed to restore remote database. The SQL database instance is unavailable".

I checked the event log for errors at this time and the only one was ACT Scheduler (cannot be started). No errors related to SQL that I could see (any hints where I should look?), though once again the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server directory remains empty (unlike my colleagues with working systems).

Struggling....

Andy

Solution
Accepted by topic author gyroman
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Your issue is definitely with the SQL portion of the install, so we need to isolate where it is failing.  Look at the following folder and check the install log:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Summary.txt

If this file does not indicate where the issue lies, you'll need to run the steps in the following link to manually create the Act7 instance.  There will be a progress screen that indicates the components of SQL that are being installed - note which component it is failing on.

Manually create SQL (express) Act7 instance

Before attempting the install again, run the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility and remove any listings for SQL.  Here is a link to download this utility: Windows Installer Clean Up Utility

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

CRACKED IT!!!  I've spent all day messing with cleaning and re-installing, running Mike Lazarus' ultra-cleansing routines etc, but it was doing the manual SQL install that revealed the problem - The ACT install disk was corrupt!!!  Doing the manual SQL install threw up a CRC error message and aborted the install.  Luckily we had the disks backed up and reverted to that backup achieved a good install.  What made things so painful is that the SQL disk error message was completely ignored and was hidden during the full Sage ACT automated install process!!  The only way that I saw that the SQL was missing was by the subsequent error message on trying to restore the remote database and the empty directory.

Oh well, we live and learn.  I'll give Kudos to Greg but I guess it was a bit of a joint success in the end!

Thanks to all and I hope someone else learns from this in the future

Andy

Bronze Super Contributor

And your discovery links back to a question in your first post:  "Why upgrade to Act! v11 or 12?"

You have hit on one of the hidden gems - the more recent versions of the SQL install routine in Act! provide much more info during the process and this likely would not have taken nearly as long to ascertain.