Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Failed to Sync: Handshake Failed. Invalid byte...

Failed to Sync: Handshake Failed. Invalid byte...

I am runnig AWG 2006 with 15 remote clients. This user has been fine since he got his new database December of 2008.

This error appeared on a client 2 weeks ago - but eventually was able to sync. It appeared again to day - but will not sync.

"Failed to synchronized with server. Handshake Failed. Invalid byte was found at byte index 32. Contact your administrator."

I searched for an answer - but none were related - but some were similar. I can successfully sync fromother clients - so I the server seems fine. I ran Act8diag but got the same resaults.

Thanks in advance - Mike Moorman

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Failed to Sync: Handshake Failed. Invalid byte...

Since the error is only happening with the one remote database, we can assume the issue is with the remote database or the local machine. To address these issues, here are some things you can do on the remote machine:

- Make sure that the version and build of ACT! on this machine are the same as the version on the Publisher machine (from Help/About ACT!)

- Try logging into the remote database as an Administrator user (from the user list in the Publisher database) )and syncing 

- In ACT!, go to Tool/Database Maintenance/Check and Repair...run twice in a row

- In ACT! Diagnostics (act8diag), under Database Rebuilds, run the first 4 rebuild options, then run the Reindex again

If these steps do not resolve the issue, then I would recommend creating a new remote database for the user. Any unsynced data from the old remote can be exported either in the Publisher database or the new remote database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.