Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

FIELDS IN CONTACT VIEW VERSUS FIELDS AVAILABLE IN OPPORTUNITIES

FIELDS IN CONTACT VIEW VERSUS FIELDS AVAILABLE IN OPPORTUNITIES

Using ACT Premium 2013

When I view a contact record there are several fields - first name; last name; client #; contract end date; etc

When I put clients into opportunities and I want to "customize columns" in opportunities not all the fields I see in contact view appear in the opportunit customize column list.  Why?  Is there a way to get more fields available in the drop down list to customize the columns in opportunities?

Nickel Contributor

Re: FIELDS IN CONTACT VIEW VERSUS FIELDS AVAILABLE IN OPPORTUNITIES

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The Opportunity area of ACT! is a seperate entity to he contact area so this is why you do not see the contact fields in the field selection when customising the columns. 

But if you download Opportunity List Plus from Durkin Cumputing you can then add contact feilds to the list of opportunities. You can get a 30 day trial from http://www.durkincomputing.com/Download.aspx

I hope this helps.

If you are wanting to edit the actual Select Contacts area when adding a contact o an opportunity then these columns are hard coded as far as I'm aware.

When you enter new fields into the contact record area how do you know if they will be available to use in opportunities view?  This totally does not make sense to me.  I have always thought that all fields were part of a contact record and that these fields would be usable wherever you want to use them.  So, is there a way to make an existing field in contact view accessible in the opportunities view?  After all the First name, Last Name; Company, etc are in contact view and also usable to customize column in opportunities.

Nickel Contributor

Hi,

If you go to the opportunity tab against a contact in the contact main view and then customise the columns of the opportunity tab you will only see opportunity fields.

You only see Contact and Company in the standard ACT opportunity list. If you want to see more then you will need to get a 3rd party application like Opportunity List Plus or any others that are available.

Platinum Elite Contributor

ACT! uses a multi table database structure. What you're describing is a flat flie single table database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I'm sorry but of the comment made so far I simply don't understand.  From what I'm reading the basic answer is that I cannot do what I want to do.  Right?  I don't get it.  ACT is a very powerful and complex database system and since it allows one to create fields it should allow the user to use these field in all different views.

Nobody has responded to "how do I know what fields in a contact record can I use in other views".  In other words if I want to add a field to my contact view and I also want that field to be accessible in the opportunities view what do I need to do?  Or, are the fields available in the opportunity view already preset and unable to be changed?

Platinum Elite Contributor

OfficeAdmin wrote:

Nobody has responded to "how do I know what fields in a contact record can I use in other views".  In other words if I want to add a field to my contact view and I also want that field to be accessible in the opportunities view what do I need to do?  Or, are the fields available in the opportunity view already preset and unable to be changed?

The contact table and the oppertunity table are two separate tables in the database. You simply can't include contact table fields in the oppertunity view/layout unless the fields are present in both tables and are linked together. You could add the same filed to both tables but they wouldn't be linked and changing one field wouldn't change the other field.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129