Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Extracting the Details field from the History table

Avid Listener

Extracting the Details field from the History table

Hi,

I'm experiencing some strange things when I try to extract the details field from the history table. I'm using ACTREADER to extract data from the database. I've made a report that has company and date as input. The report will then show all the history for that company from the input date till today. It works some times but on some inputs I get an error message saying "Unable to get next record". If I don't select Details in the sql query then the report works everytime but when I select the Details field then I'm getting this error for some inputs.

Any idea whats wrong? Thank you in advance

/Nicolai

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Extracting the Details field from the History table

I will take a wild guess...

Being that the data in question is history details, if I were a betting man, I would bet that there is punctuation or a data pattern in some of the various history records that is breaking the SQL provider's ability to correctly parse the data...

Employee

mscott821 wrote:

I will take a wild guess...

Being that the data in question is history details, if I were a betting man, I would bet that there is punctuation or a data pattern in some of the various history records that is breaking the SQL provider's ability to correctly parse the data...

Your probably right, the data in the details section is in a rich text format so that may be interfering with the query. The OLE 2.0 reporting provider would do a superior job of returning the data in a usable format.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Platinum Elite Contributor

You also need to bear in mind that the Details field can be quite large and you need to be able to handle that as well as the formatting.

Unless you have some specific need to read the tables directly, I'd also recommend OLEDB

See: http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/07/connecting-to-act-by-sage-data.html