Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Exporting select records to another DB

Exporting select records to another DB

I would like to be able to run a Lookup in one database, then export just those companies and their contacts for import into another ACT database.  Probably a simple thing, but I can't find the answer so far.   Specifically, we have a Prospect database that is identical to our Customer database.  When a prospect becomes a customer, we want to move them to the Customer DB.

I am using ACT 2009 Premium. 

Thanks,

Fred

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Exporting select records to another DB

You can export a lookup from one ACT! database to another, using the Export option under the File menu.  You want to an Export from the source database as opposed to an Import, as an export allows you to be selective about the contacts you want to send over.  Please see the steps in the following Knowledgebase document:

How to Export Your ACT! Database to Another ACT! Database

It won't be necessary for you to create a new database to export to, as you already have an existing one

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thank you, Greig,

I already tried the export function, but after looking over the link you sent me, I realize what the issue is.  In the preparation screens there is a question as to what kind of records to export.  There is a note that says if you check more than one type (Contact, Group, Company) you will be exporting all records.  I had selected all 3 and therefors wasn't offered any lookup or filtering opportunity.  That's an issue since I want to export certain companies, but certainly want all contacts associated with those companies to be exported as well.

Fred

Platinum Elite Contributor

You can do two exports..one for a lookup of the contact records you want, and one for a lookup of the company records you want.  If you export the companies first, then the contacts, they should link up in the destination database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.