Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Exporting contacts to excel

Exporting contacts to excel

[ Edited ]

Premium Act! 16, Office 2013

My goal: map all contacts of a specified group to the excel spreadsheet that I created (I am familiar with the report feature and hope that's not the only feature I can reach my goal since no export to excel is possible that way).

I have problems with the button "map to excel". With this feature I can export act! data to an excel template of my own. Is it possible to map every single contact of a certain group to excel not only one? Because when I use "map contact" in excel I can use this in act! only with one contact, but not with the whole membership of the group.

Exporting from the contact list view to excel is not an appropriate way for me because with this process I cannot use my own excel template. How can I solve this problem?

I set up my template in excel 2013 as follows:

- open a new book

- click add-in => act! => map contact

- then I choose the appropriate fields (first name, last name, e-mail) and add them

- I save the file and add it to the group view, in register documents

- I mark the added excel file and click the map to excel button

then an error message pops up, that the document has no group fields!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Exporting contacts to excel

The way you're trying to do it no. The export fromt he group table would be the group record no the members of the group. However, if you right click on the group name and select Create Lookup you will crate a lookup of the contacts in the group. then you can arrange the columns in the gontat list view as you want then to appear in Excel and then export the list view to Excel.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you very much. But with this way I cannot use my own excel templates. The list from the group view will be exported to a blank excel spreadsheet without logo, my company address etc...Furthermore I must rearrange the colums of the view with every new export...

Unless you have a specific need to have the information in Excel you should consider using an ACT! report template. The procedure I provided is the best for directly from ACT! to Excel.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Elite Contributor

User3011,

What is the business need for the spreadsheet? Perhaps if you explain what the bigger picture is we might suggest an alternative.  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Hi gleo

The business need is as follows: I am working in a school and our teachers need lists of their students containing name, postal address, email privat and business and I would like to have these datas printed on my own template (say with logo, school address etc.). I am not very keen on the act! reports - therefore I am looking for an alternative with excel. Furthermore an export of an report is not possible in csv or xlsx.

What you describe would be best done with a custom ACT! report template. The template you want would be fairly easy to create requireing no more that a basic understanding of the ACT! reports. One option would be to have someone create the template for you. As part of my business I create custom report templates for my clients. My only relictance to offering my services in your case would be language. If you need to have the report in a language other than English, I wouln't be able to help/

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Hallo,

we could you offer an Export Tool to csv and also help you with creating Act! templates, also in german language Smiley Wink.

Details about the Export you find on:

https://www.crmaddon.com/en/shop-en/act-addons/data-management/export-it-act-2007-and-higher

Best regards Susanne

I find one way to export report data to excel. I found it in the act! knowledge base: ID 14690 (How to Add Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, a Tiff Image, and Paged Html as an Output Option for Reports). But I am not really satisfied because the export doesn't look well in the excel sheet, the porgramm doesn't recognize landscape automatically, the margins are not correct and the data is placed somewhere with additional colums and the filter cannot be applied properly.

Therefore not a recommended way to go!

The best and simplest solution would be a custom ACT! report.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129