Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Exporting Emails

Highlighted

Exporting Emails

Our team is currently running ACT v18 Premium and our database is connected to Outlook (so all of our emails to/ from clients will attach as .msg files whenever an email is sent/ received as a party of the history log).  I'm trying to find a way to run a history report that will contain the bodies of the actual emails that have been sent/ received over time.

In other words, I know how to run a report that contains the history, notes, activities, and even email for a client, but when selecting the email checkbox it only notes that an email entry occurred in the history - it doesn't actually contain the body of the individual email itself.  Which makes sense because when an email is sent/ received in outlook, the .msg file shows up as an attachment in act to the "email history event."  

Is there any way within ACT (or with a 3rd party program) to run a report that contains those attached email files so you can read all entries in one place on a PDF?  So far I have been unsuccessful in finding this capability within ACT (maybe newer versions already allow this capability?) I would also be open to paying a 3rd party software if it works. 

I found ITExport from a guy named Mike Lazarus of GL Computing https://www.glcomputing.com.au/main/64/1 but I don't know if that software A) can do what I'm looking for, and B) if it runs on v18 and up.  Anyone ever tried ITExport as a solution before? (I've emailed him a few times but haven't heard back).

Any suggestions/ solutions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks a bunch, ACT community!

James

Highlighted
Astute Commentator

Re: Exporting Emails

Hi James,

Thanks for posting your enquiry onto the community forum.

Sorry you have not had a response back about ITExport. This is a product from the German company CRMADDON store.

To answer your question. If you have attached the complete email to the Act! history as you indicate, then the answer is no it will not do what you want.

The problem lies in what you are asking it to do, which is to run through the history list and when it gets to an email, to go to the attachments folder, open the email (in outlook) read the details of the email and add that to the report.

This will require a piece of bespoke software, which we could help you with.

Kind regards

Donald Page

Seamless CRM

www.seamlesscrm.co.uk

+44 (0)1793 825693

Highlighted

Donald,

Thanks so much for your reply.  You communicated exactly what I was trying to say (and what I want to do) in a much clearer way!  I am interested in learning more about your bespoke software.  Is this an add-on software that would allow me to generate a report that would open those emails and add them to the history log?

Thanks so much,

James 

Highlighted
Astute Commentator

Hi James.
Yes we can certainly look at an app to do this. There are a number of considerations that need to be made when doing something like this. For example, if you extract data from an email, do you also want to see the title, who it was from, who it was addressed to and the names of the attachments to it. Should it show the whole email trail in the body, it take regard of the security settings placed on it in the Act! history, etc etc.
And the report - what filters would you want to see avialable given that this would be separate to the standard reporting tool.
You would need to specify this in detail and very clearly.
Hope this helps.

Kind regards
Donald Page

Seamless CRM
www.seamlesscrm.co.uk
+44 (0)1793 825693
Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi James,

We can help. We could for instance add this functionality to our Advanced Export To Excel add-on. That shouldn't be too complicated.

Or we can look at other possibilities depending on your requirements. If you're interested, please open a ticket at https://support.exponenciel.com to further discuss your needs.

Gilles Cavin
http://www.exponenciel.com
Make sure you check our free Act! add-ons!
Create Web forms in seconds and import form results directly into Act! with Automatic Web Forms
check our latest add-on: Better Last Activity Date Tracking
Highlighted
Astute Commentator

Hi James. I haven't responded to this thread for a few days due to Gilles message. It may be cheaper for you to go that route if it is a realistic option. Email me if you are still interested in our solution.