Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Exporting Contact Data from One Database to Another

Exporting Contact Data from One Database to Another

I am trying to move or export a contact and all of its notes/history from one ACT! Database to another in the same exact version of software. ActPremium 2015  I have tried these probably 12 times and only had one successful move. Leaving all fields as they were matched up with one another I would get an error saying that a field cannot be less then zero.  I have no idea what this field is so I just cleared map and asked for it to import the contact name and all attachments notes etc.  I got it to work with one contact like a charm, but will not work with the other 3 i am attempting to do this with. 

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Exporting Contact Data from One Database to Another

There was a bug in ACT V16 importing calculated fields from one database to another. What version of ACT do you have (ACT - HELP - ABOUT ACT)

Try importing without note and history on first run and then if that works do a 2nd import selecting Merge Option and include notes and history.

Administrator

Hi Derek,

It's worth checking that all the field names are exactly the same in both DBs.
Do you also have the same users set up in both DBs with the same usernames?
Is there any field security associated with any of the fields?

I get an error upon transfer stating that a field cannot be less than zero.  I have no idea of what field that is or no way of determining what field it is so i just do the export on contact name and number since the contact is already in the other database.  The contact has every bit of data that I need but the notes.  For some reason they did not transfer over from ACT 2007.  You see I have two databases a test version and the live database that was pulled over and converted from act 2007.  The test version has the notes for these contacts the live database does not.

Version 17.  Contact is already in the other database.  I try a merge or anything it just stops in the middle of it.  I did have one to transfer successfully. Makes no sense

Hi Derek,

As Gary mentioned in one of his previous posts, a common cause for this issue is if the user that the history/note was created with does not exist in the destination database.

Can you confirm that all Act users have been setup in your destination database, exactly as they are in the source database?

Peter

Confirmed. All users are set up the exact same way.

The error you are receiving is usually caused by a calculated field. How many calculated fields do you have in your source database?

As a test, can you use "Save Copy As" to create a copy of your database with a slightly different name. In that database can you delete any calculated fields that you may have and then try importing the contacts with notes & histories into a new database.

Peter