Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Export to Opportunity Keeps Phantom Data References in Excel

Export to Opportunity Keeps Phantom Data References in Excel

In Excel, using the ACT Add-in to "Map Opportunity Fields" causes very weird behavior when attaching the Excel file to the Documents tab of an ACT Opportunity and merging data with "Map to Excel" button.

Essentially, the referenced Opportunity data fields in the spreadsheet map in correctly when imported into ACT, but they can never be removed.  Clearing the Excel cell and all its contents does not work.  Overwriting the cell with new text fails.  The only way to replace the mapped Opportunity field reference is by using the ACT Add-in to map another ACT field over that cell.

This makes it very difficult to edit a template since the phantom data references are always saved.  I have renamed the file numerous times and tried different Excel formats (.xls, .xlsx), but there is no way to properly edit the spreadsheet once ACT data is introduced.

Sage ACT! 2011 Premium

Excel 2010

Windows7 / WinXP

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you

- Garret

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Export to Opportunity Keeps Phantom Data References in Excel

I have tested this in ACT! 2012 with Excel 2010 and believe I am seeing the same thing:
- Create Excel template with Opportunity Fields; save it
- Attach to Docs tab for an Opportunity
- Map to Excel; data comes over as expected
- Open the template via ACT! and delete a couple of fields; save
- Reopen from ACT! to confirm changes accepted - they are
- Map to Excel - the data from the deleted fields still comes over in the cell the fields used to be in

Is this what you are seeing as well?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Yes, this is exactly what I am experiencing!  I would love to use this template functionality, but it is unusable in its current state.

If I could just remove select Opportunity field mappings, I could avoid needing to carefully plan out these spreadsheets or else risk starting from scratch.  

If there is any way to modify the Excel spreadsheet or possibly any hidden supplemental files, please let me know.  Thank you!

- Garret

Platinum Elite Contributor

This issue has been reported to our development team and is currently under investigation. We will post an update when additional information regarding this issue becomes available. Thank you for taking the time to report this to us.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.