Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Export Function

Copper Contributor

Export Function

I created a new remote database for a laptop user. I gave the user Manager rights.  My intent, before having them sync, was to export the records from their last sync into the new database.  However, the export/import function on the file menu is grayed out.  Anyone else have this problem?  I am running ACT 2009 Premium Workgroups. (and Windows XP).
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Export Function

So, they had a remote database and you want to merge it into the system as they made changes before it stopped sync?

I would have import/merged it into the Publisher BEFORE cutting their new remote... otherwise you will be sending a lot of data over sync and this isn't a good idea.

Copper Contributor

My database was corrupt and no one could sync prior so I'm playing catch up now.
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

Did he alreadly have "manager's rights" in the old database?
Normaly, you could log onto this database with any admin login even if they are not in the sync set, so try the export function with an admin login and see if you have access to this feature.

Then, I agree with Mike: export all data is not a good idea. Try to limit the lookup of contacts to export thanks to the "Lookup > Contact activity" menu, and find contacts recently edited only.

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }
Platinum Elite Contributor

Anne,

Best bet... get all the databases and merge them back into one database. Then make that the Publisher and cut new RDP files for each of the remotes.

Might take a little time, but will give the most reliable results

Copper Contributor

I believe I have been successful logging into their laptops as admin and doing export on a lookup of records created/edited after the last sync.  What I cannot get access to are "private" records.  If I log in as the user, who does not have admin rights, I see all the private records; but cannot export.  As sync does not work, cannot change his access rights and try again.  If I log in as admin, I don't see the private records, so nothing to export.  We're talking about 245 records for my main user.  Any workaround there?
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

If you're sure that it is necessary to export all of them (are they really updated since last successful sync?), maybe you could log in as your user, change temporarily the access of these contacts, log onto as admin, export the contacts in the new database, log onto the new database as the user and change again the access of these contacts as private.

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }
Copper Contributor

Thanks, I actually had the same idea.  Just went in as him, changed them to public and added them to a new group called private.  But I think I messed myself up.  I didn't know if exporting the contacts alone would carry over the group status and I wanted to be able to tag them once they came over and make them private again.  So, I'm exporting entire database to his new one.  I was also hoping it might carry over his calendar as that did not come over when the remote was created.  I believe this will take some time to finish though.