Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Exchange 2007 - Best Email Setup Practice

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Exchange 2007 - Best Email Setup Practice

Hello, we use Act 10.0.2.191 and use Exchange 2007 SP1 for email.  Our workstations are all off-site so we use the Remote Databases/Act Sync service via VPN to provide connectivity back to the main database and email.  I have an issue that I am hoping the experts here can help me solve.

If we use Act Email and choose Outlook, messages get stuck in the outbox, we don't want to use the Outlook application, nor do we want users to open outlook to clear the outbox (all our workstations have Office 2007 Standard).  Will this issue ever be fixed?  

So I've been playing around Act using Outlook Express in POP3 mode (which works ok, send/receive works, unlike outlook), but if I take that route there is no global address list functionality, if thats the best route I could setup all my exchange users as contacts, but that seems like a pain.

Whats the `best` way to setup Act Email in an Exchange 2007 environment?

Thanks

Brandon

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author guardianchem
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Exchange 2007 - Best Email Setup Practice

guardianchem wrote:

If we use Act Email and choose Outlook, messages get stuck in the outbox, we don't want to use the Outlook application, nor do we want users to open outlook to clear the outbox (all our workstations have Office 2007 Standard).  Will this issue ever be fixed?  

Why don't you just use the Outlook application? There is no issue to be fixed. To send to Exchange, ACT! Email must use Outlook... all it can do is put the email in the Outlook Outbox and then it's up to Outlook to send it to Exchange. Microsoft provides no other method. The best way is NOT to use ACT! Email client at all and just use Outlook.

So I've been playing around Act using Outlook Express in POP3 mode (which works ok, send/receive works, unlike outlook), but if I take that route there is no global address list functionality, if thats the best route I could setup all my exchange users as contacts, but that seems like a pain.

Don't use the ACT! Email client. Just have ACT! directly use Outlook and set up ACT! as an address book there

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author guardianchem
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

guardianchem wrote:

Why don't you just use the Outlook application? There is no issue to be fixed. To send to Exchange, ACT! Email must use Outlook... all it can do is put the email in the Outlook Outbox and then it's up to Outlook to send it to Exchange. Microsoft provides no other method. The best way is NOT to use ACT! Email client at all and just use Outlook.

Don't use the ACT! Email client. Just have ACT! directly use Outlook and set up ACT! as an address book there

Tuned Listener

Thanks Mike, I really appreciate your feedback.

Given your advice, I question why Sage would access Outlook via Act Email at all, it seems to be a broken implementation and by virtue of it being an option in the list I just expected it to work.  That said, Microsoft does not make it easy to interoperate with their tech, so I understand its not entirely Sage's fault.

I've been browsing the boards for a few weeks as we look to purchase more licensing for the remainder of our sales staff, you experts take a lot of crap from the forum members, I am not trying to add fuel to that fire, and I do appreciate your time, thanks again.

Brandon

It's largely historical... prior to ACT! 10, the Outlook integration wasn't as complete
Tuned Listener

I've seen on the community page Act 2009 is going to be tested, have you tried it?  Is Outlook/Exchange integration more bundled into Act or will it still rely on 3rd parties?

This would certainly be a great selling point to present to mgmt for SA.

People beta testing the next version are not permitted to discuss the beta. It's kinda like Fight Club.

ACT 2007 (ver9.0) POP and SMTP servers

I would like to use the ACT email application but can't get the POP server to be 995 and the SMTP server to be port 80.

Any ideas how this can be done or will I have to continue to use Outlook?

john@ehardi.com

Re: ACT 2007 (ver9.0) POP and SMTP servers

Nickel Elite Contributor

Outlook Express would also be an option.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

hoekstra1 wrote:

I would like to use the ACT email application but can't get the POP server to be 995 and the SMTP server to be port 80.

Any ideas how this can be done or will I have to continue to use Outlook?

john@ehardi.com

Here's another option:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/05/using-act-internet-mail-client-with-non.html