Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation

Copper Contributor

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation

I'm using Act! Premium Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 2. Everytime I open ACT! I get the following message;

"error occurred after logon in synchronisation manager. Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation"

I think this may have something to do with Outlook 2013. When I choose Tools - Preferences - Email & Outlook Synch the page is a white space with a red cross through it. There are no options to do anything.

At the moment this is preventing me from creating new contacts.

Any suggestions?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation

Copper Contributor

None of the resolutions in the article worked for me. Still get the same error message

Employee

[ Edited ]

Have you tried renaming the whole Act! DATA folder mentioned in the 'Damaged Preference file' section of the above KB article. This goes a bit further but everything in this folder will be rebuilt. You'll need to stop any Act processes running in the Task Manager and bear in mind this will reset all your preferences. You should check out the article below before you do this.

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14770

Copper Contributor

the link you've left doesn't go anywhere but resolves to an error page
Employee

Try copying and pasting the link into a new tab

Copper Contributor

Done that, thank you. 

I'm making my way through the file. I'm entering actdiag in the run box and selecting OK but nothing happens. This was the instructions for Sage ACT! 2007 or later. We are using ACT! Premium V17, so wondering if this the correct command. We are using Windows 10.

Employee

Don't know why it's not running, try navigating to the act installation directory e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\ACT for Windows and double-click on actdiag.exe

If that doesn't work, I would still rename the actData folder in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ACT

NB. If you  do this, make sure you know where your database is located as Act will 'forget' and bear in mind you'll lose any menu customisations

Copper Contributor

Hi, Thanks for your assistance.

I couldn't get the actdiag.exe to open. I closed ACT and Outlook and made sure there were no outstanding ACT processes running in Task Manager. I've tried right clicking on the actdiag.exe and running as administrator and have had our AV software turned off. A process opens in Task Manager but nothing happens. 

I've tried renaming the folder, again ensuring everything was closed first. It does create a new ActData folder but I still get the same error??

Employee

Going back to Outlook, have you had Act! & outlook integrated in the past i.e as an email client etc?