Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Excel data into ACT

Excel data into ACT

I have some contact data in an excel document that I would like to put into a new database on ACT.  At the Summit I was told this was done rather easily.  I am trying to transfer using the comma delimited method but because I am not very computer literate it didn't happen.  Is there a step by step procedure to get this done?

Re: Excel data into ACT

Hi, You'll find step by step instructions on importing from csv/excel in the ACT Knowledgebase. Specifically, you'll want answer id 15208 "How to Import Contact Data From a Text Delimited File (*.TXT or *.CSV) into an ACT! 2007/2006 Database" To access the article, go to www.act.com, under the support menu click on Knowledgebase and you can search by the answer id or the text of the title. Hope this helps. - AJ

I have imported from excel Tab Delimited several times into ACT Workgroups 2007 (9.0)  Now it is failing intermittently.

1) I created a new spreadsheet thinkning it might have gotten corrupted.  I hand typed the header and details for one contact, saved a text file and it imported.  I typed in some more and then it failed.  I pasted into that new sheet a hundred different customer records and only 9 imported. Thinkning the 10th record was corrupt, I removed it.  Still only 4 records were imported this time.  Next time no records.  Next time, the possible bad 10th record was imported.   I can't figure out an consistent pattern in the data.

2) So I did a Check and Repair database which was successful.  A few more records were imported.

I have 600 records to import and after 11 attempts only about 20 have imported.

Any suggestions?

Paul Orlowski 360.966.7251

Paul, I find it helpful to import an xls into Access first just to make sure the data is all good.  Not sure why this helps.  Then export the Access table back into Excel and then import into Act. My guess is that this standardizes all the data. 
Loyal Listener

I have found that there are several CSV formats that Excel can save in, the one that seems to work for me is CSV (MS-DOS) (*.csv)

Also with Excel 2007 the csv file contains the worksheet tab name in line one above the field header line, this needs deleting manually.

Hope this helps.

TIA

Paul M Tate
Copper Contributor

Do you have a single spreadsheet in your workbook?  Have you mapped your excel spreadsheet to import into your database? 

A simple check is to open the file in excel and expand the colums so you can see if any data is incorrectly placed.  if it is you should follow the instructions on importing the excel file as previously stated. 

Or if you have just recently bought the ACT program consider calling up tech support and they can walk you through it over the phone. 
V Flores
ACE Packaging Inc.
Package Design or Standard offerings we have it all. New car scent will cost extra.
Copper Contributor

There is a problem with the SQL service in ACT! when doing numerous or large imports.  We have seen ACT! get "weird". Don't know why, but that's what we do in the field to ensure ACT! works OK.

You need to reset the SQL instance.

In support.act.com, look for answer ID 14472 on these steps.

Platinum Elite Contributor

If doing a lot of imports, or if you want a field level merge, or if you want to import to ACT!'s sub-tables, you might also find itImport a good option. It's the only way I do imports now
Copper Contributor

I'm not clear about your message:  "Also with Excel 2007 the csv file contains the worksheet tab name in line one above the field header line, this needs deleting manually."  Not clear what line one above the field header line means.  My field header is line one and I see nothing indicating where the worksheet tab name might be.  Thanks for the help -  I can no longer import anything and it has become a problem.

I just started having this same problem after a year or so of no such problem.  My files have been the same, importing them the same way.  Did you ever get this issue resolved?

I used to be able to import data I set up using Excel, saving the file as a CSV format, then using the import option in ACT to overwrite existing fields.  Now - no such luck.  Just stopped out of the blue one week ago.