Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Event Log - Desktop History Queue Provider

Copper Contributor

Event Log - Desktop History Queue Provider

Has anyone viewed the Windows Event Log recently?

It appears that the ACT! History Que is creating event logs

Stopped the Queues Timer
Queues Have Been Processed
Setting Processing to False
Restarting the timer to handle future records

and starts over again....

v192-Update2-Event-Log-Errors.png

Clifford Roberts
Certified ACT! Fanatic

Re: Event Log - Desktop History Queue Provider

[ Edited ]

Hi Clifford,

Would you be able to provide the versions of Act, Windows, and Outlook?

As the error appears every 10 seconds, have they stopped since or have been continuous?

If you can open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) do you have an Act.Outlook.Service running? if you do could you attempt to kill the process and see if the logs stop. After can you restart the service which i have included instructions below.

navigate to one of the locations below:
64-bit OS
Act! Pro or Act! Premium: C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows
Act! Premium (access via web): C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Web

32-bit OS
Act! Pro or Act! Premium: C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows
Act! Premium (access via web): C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web

Double click the Act.Outlook.service.

Once it starts up again check to see if messages return.

Copper Contributor

Act! Premium Version 19.2.146.0, Update 3

2017-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4025342) - successfully installed 07/11/2017

Microsoft Office 365 Version: 16.0.4229.1024 - This product will not be updated

Yes, Act.Outlook.Service was running.

The process was killed.  The logs do not stop.

Your reply does not include instructions for the possibility that the logs continue.

Please advise.

6 more wasted hours trying to make ACT work, rather than running my small business.

Hi @princeedwardh,

Would you be able to reset the HistoryQueue to do this if can stop the service via task manager then navigate to this location: 'C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT Data' Once here please rename the 'HistoryQueue' Folder to 'HistoryQueue.old'

Once this is done please restart the Act.Outlook.service and attempt to record an email if this stops the errors please let us know.

Copper Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

Under Task Manager, I do not see HistoryQueue under:

1. Processes
  2. Startup
  3. Services

Under Services, I see:

1. Act.Outlook.Service.exe
  2. ACT!.integration.exe
  3. ACt.Scheduler.exe
  4. ACT.Scheduler.exe
  5. ACT.Scheduler.UI.exe
  6. Act.Server.Host.exe
  7. act.web.api.hosting.exe

Sorting by Description, I see nothing under Name that contains either "Act" or "Swiftpage" or anything else suggesting it a service of ACT

So, by your response, this is a confirmed ACT issue, correct?

Doing a Google search, the very first return is:

Solved: Act! - Outlook 2007 & ACT 2008 Interface Error - Desktop ...

Apr 27, 2009 - 6 posts
Outlook 2007 & ACT 2008 Interface Error - Desktop History Queue Provider Missing master database. ... Re: Outlook 2007 & ACT 2008 Interface Error - Desktop History Queue Provider Missing master data. ... This stopped the consistenly reported error message by flushing out the outlook email ...

This issue dates to 4/27/2009, and it continues to plague ACT's paying customer's, correct?

Under AppData/Roaming/ACT/ACT Data/HistoryQueue/errors, I have two files:

1) tmpC181.xml created 08/04/2017 at 9:15 PM

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<outlookhistoryerror>
<error type="LastError">
<lastdatetime>8/5/2017 9:15:35 PM</lastdatetime>                                                     
<firstdatetime>8/4/2017 9:15:25 PM</firstdatetime>
<message>Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: message</message>
</error>
<error type="System.ArgumentNullException">
<firstdatetime>7/27/2017 9:30:27 PM</firstdatetime>
<count>81</count>
</error>
</outlookhistoryerror>

2) tmp78D.xml created 08/04/2017 at 9:17 PM

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<outlookhistoryerror>
<error type="LastError">
<firstdatetime>8/4/2017 9:15:25 PM</firstdatetime>
</error>
<error type="System.ArgumentNullException">
<firstdatetime>7/27/2017 9:30:27 PM</firstdatetime>
<count>81</count>
</error>
</outlookhistoryerror>

Under AppData/Roaming/ACT/ACT Data/HistoryQueue/ I have 4 files:

1. tmp78D an Outlook item         56 KB                                                                         I recognize this email.  All it contains is a 56K Excel file.
  2. tmp78D an XML Document
  3. tmpC181 and Outlook item      36KB                                                                         I recognize this email.  It is a blank email with the subject line: TEST
  4. tmpC181 an XML Document

Let me see if I understand: Two files, one 56KB in size and 36KB in size brings ACT to its knees and causes me even MORE hours trying to fix ACT     problems, correct?

And, since this issue dates to 04/27/2009, Swiftpage is either incapable or unwilling to solve this issue for its paying customers, correct?

Lastly, there is no final resolution to this, is there?  We paying customers deserve Swiftpage code to operate this way, correct?  In 2017, with an 8 year old issue, resolution to this matter is beyond the capability of the human species, right?

Copper Contributor

I did as you said:
1) stopped ACT.Outlook.Service.exe
2) renamed HistoryQueue to HistoryQueue.old

I shutdown my computer and restarted it 5 minutes later.

At startup, I have 4 Desktop History Queue Provider Errors, all with the same Date and Time of 08/04/2017 10:52:08PM, the same Event IDs of 0 and the same Task Category of None

NUMBER 1

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Desktop History Queue Provider

- EventID 0

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2017-08-05T03:52:08.777495200Z

EventRecordID 362819

Channel Application

Computer EHP

Security

- EventData

Stopped the Queues Timer

NUMBER 2

- System

- Provider

- EventID 0

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 0

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2017-08-05T03:52:08.779509200Z

EventRecordID 362820

Channel Application

Computer EHP

Security

- EventData

Queues Have Been Processed

NUMBER 3

- System

- Provider

- EventID 0

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 0

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2017-08-05T03:52:08.781506200Z

EventRecordID 362821

Channel Application

Computer EHP

Security

- EventData

Setting Processing to False

NUMBER 4
- System

- Provider

- EventID 0

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 0

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2017-08-05T03:52:08.782509300Z

EventRecordID 362822

Channel Application

Computer EHP

Security

- EventData

Restarting the timer to handle future records

NOW WHAT?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Desktop History Queue Provider

Just a question relating to this error - are you sure it is ACT casing the issue? This is a general windows error and can be caused by a number of applications so just thought I would ask for clarity that we are sure it is ACT causing the issue.

I have also seen this when the user profile becomes corrupted - Are you able to create a new windows user on your PC and see if you still get the error when logging in under the new profile. (Always good to have more than one windows user just in case one does become corrupted.)

Not defending ACT - Just trying to eliminate other possibilities.

Copper Contributor

I do not know.

As I recall, a Google search returns several ACT results.  The response above suggest ACT as the culprit.  ACT has a "History" and this error is "Desktop History Queue Provider".

Circumstantial evidence perhaps.

Here's what I do know.

I followed the instructions above late in the night.  The first thing in the AM, I have 4 of these errors.  There are no files in the HistoryQueQue subfolder.

This does not mean that ACT is not the culprit.  My experience with ACT tells me that it is a highly fragile piece of software.

Lastly, I am Swiftpage's target customer, a small business owner.  My core competency is my business, not ACT software.  However, since deploying ACT in November, 2016, I have logged 140 hours fixing ACT.  So, my core competency is developing quite nicely in ACT software because I am forced to fix the ACT technical problem du jour.  I am losing my core competency in my business, and money.

Copper Contributor

princeedwardh: you are not alone in your pain, and my personal experience forces me to highly agree with your assessment that Act is a "highly fragile piece of software". I am an outsourced IT consultant and have found many and substantial undocumented configuration challenges installing Act in our Windows domain environment (45 computers, of which but eight use Act) where the Act DB is hosted on a server and shared among users in our Windows domain. Not the least of the problems is that installation of Act stopped my entire corporate backup for four months until I realized the problem and dug out a workaround. All of this cost my client an extra several thousand dollars in my time just getting Act working in an environment that it full claims to support.

Now I just upgraded our Act Premium/Web from v18 to v19. Some issues have been there from the beginning with v 18 last year. I already have my server's logs filling up with this message: "Starting up database 'ActEmailMessageStore'". I posted that, but as yet have not received a solution that worked:

https://community.act.com/t5/Act-Premium/Frequently-repeated-log-entry-Starting-up-database/m-p/3407...

Those have continued with this upgrade (every two minutes), despite my best efforts to find a workaround but now, with the advent of v19, I now also have the same "Desktop History Queue Provider" issue you report--on the server, where I use the Act applicaton only for testing and for configuring the web server. These log entries come in predictable sets of six:

Information: Watcher Created for C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT Data\HistoryQueue\tmp54DF.xml
 Information: Watcher Created  and Timer Started for C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT Data\HistoryQueue\tmp54DF.xml
 Error: Stopped the Queues Timer
 Error: Queues Have Been Processed
 Error: Setting Processing to False
 Error: Restarting the timer to handle future records

These offer undeniable proof that these are entirely caused by Act, since they 1) began with this upgrade and 2) the first two refer to the Act folder downline from the user's AppData\Roaming folder. Beside the obvious question of why Act registers the last four as errors instead of informational, the big questions are these:

1. How do I prevent Act errors? Part of the response to my prior post above was that I should just ignore the errors, since they cause no problems. But they do cause problems at the system administration level, and the point is not whether I can ignore the error or not; it is what is causing it and how can I prevent it. Being told to live with errors strongly intimates that the developers do not care to solve the problem. This is why, although I fully understand there is a suggestion process, I am pretty sure any suggestions would have to be related to the user experience--not the stability of the underlying technology--to be taken seriously. It is of little consequence to the developers that I have to work weekends, going far outside the confines of the knowledgebase and even sometimes this forum--to make the product function in our not-unusual corporate environment because 1) the users all--with not little encouragement from Act salesmen who never bother to mention that the poor IT guy will have to figure out large chunks of the setup on his own--think they could have gotten it to work right the first time had they been the ones to install it and 2) the bill my client gets is from me, even though, yes, it says "working around Act deficiencies to get it to work correctly" right there next to the big dollar amount.

2. How/where do I turn down the logging level for Act so that it will not continue to inappropriately dominate my Windows server for which Act is just one small part? All this entirely unnecessary event recording masks other issues by either shoving other events off the end of the log or simply making it very difficult for system integrators & managers to read through logs when researching other issues.

And, just for the record, I have spoken with Act support before, and that experience with overseas support makes it unlikely that I will do so again for any technical issue. So here were are on the forum, where I will grudgingly settle for workarounds I have not already worked out on my own, should they exist. and probably just continue to post

Sadly i have not encountered this issue and taking a look on the forum or KB it does not appear to be a often commented issue. Act! itself has its own log reporting so it should not normally write to the event viewer, as it references the history queue (and I only know of the history Queue within %appdata%) I would assume it to be in the process of either sending emails to that folder or when processing them via the Act.outlook.service application.

I have provided a few steps below which may help identify where this issue comes from if you happen to have a machine that is effected by the issue and could be used for testing?

Firstly I would like to ensure the Act.Outlook.Service has been ended from task manager and no longer running, after can you run a repair or reinstall on the .Net framework (which can be carried out from Programs and Features), once done please check the event viewer to see if any error have occurred during this time, if it appears all clear please start the Act.Outlook.Service again from one of these locations:

64-bit OS
Act! Pro or Act! Premium: C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows
Act! Premium (access via web): C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Web

32-bit OS
Act! Pro or Act! Premium: C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows
Act! Premium (access via web): C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web

Observe to see if any errors occurs.

If the errors continued during the reinstall of .Net framework or after the service had been restarted. I would believe it is happening in the process of sending the emails to the history queue.

Within Outlook would you be able to disable the Act! Outlook Add-in (File > Options > Add-ins > Manage: Com Add-ins - Go > Untick the Act! Outlook Add-in and restart Outlook.) again please check the Event viewer to see if the errors prevail.

If they continue flooding the Event viewer the next part would be to uninstall Act and monitor the event viewer.

I hope this will help narrow down the issue.