Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Errors with administrator user, but not other users?

Errors with administrator user, but not other users?

We are running Act Premium 2011 with 20 users.  Using Server 08 with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit workstations. 

Whenever I log on to my workstation or any other workstation using my log on credentials Act takes about 3-5 minutes to work.  I've tried deleting preferences, changing the initial screen, etc....none of that changes the speed.  When I log on using another users credentials on the same machines there are no problems and Act works great after about 15 seconds.

When I log off I get the a Windows error "Sage Act! has stopped working" whether I'm on my workstation or other workstations.  The error does not happen when I use other log on credentials.

Could this have anything to do with the fact that my logon is the administrator account in Act?  Is my user information corrupt?  Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Besides logging on and logging off everything works great.  I've also tried logging on directly on our server and I get the same problems with my credentials, but no one elses.

Silver Contributor

Re: Errors with administrator user, but not other users?

It could be a corupt user record.  Or a history or activity attached to that record. If you give another user admin rights, does it continue to work?

If you believe the user is corrupt, make a backup of the database just in case, and create a new admin user.  You can then disable or delete the original admin use.

Here is a KB Article on management of user records in ACT

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Elite Contributor

Check the history for your My record, you could have an excessive number of entries.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

We had the same problem and found that the admin account just had too many histories attached to it.

Now, to make all the changes we need, there is another user account that we do this with, then we just delete and recreate that account when this starts happening again (prevents you from having to delete the admin account and assigning all the contacts to a new admin account). 

Tried deleting all the histories for my record over a year old.  Act openned and closed much faster, but still got the error when I exited.

Tried deleting all history completely from my record.  Same result...improved open and close, but still the error.

Added admin rights to another users and changed mine to manager.  Logged in as the other person as admin and logged off successfully with no error.  Logged in as myself with the new manager rights and logged off with no errors.  Then changed everything back to the way it was before and successfully logged on and off with no errors.

Whatever I did it seems to be fixed for now. 

I'm very hesitant to delete the user completely so hopefully it doesn't come to that.  Won't I lose all the information (2+ years worth of future client appointments)?