Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Errors "table does not have a primary key" and "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Errors "table does not have a primary key" and "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

About one month ago, we started getting the same errors on several workstations by several users when they are performing repeated customer look ups by address.  After 4 to 6 look ups, the users reported and we have screen shots showing this message "table does not have a primary key".  A couple of users are also getting the following error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

All workstations are running Windows XP SP3, the server is running Server 2003, and all are running ACT 2009 Premium.  The database has been housed on the same server for 3 years now without any issues.

Long time ACT user since ACT! 1.0, first time issue using 2009 Premium

Mike Shannon, theforeclosureguy
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Errors "table does not have a primary key" and "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Have you been running maintenance (Check and Repair) on your database?  If not, create a backup of your database (File > Backup > Database) then go to the Tools menu > select Database Maintenance > select Check and Repair.

Also, it wasn't clear - is it specific users that receive the error message while others do not receive the error at all?  Or do all users receive the error?  If only some users, try having them work from a different workstation and see if the errors continue.  The idea here is to try and narrow down the issue, is it global to all users, or specific to individual usernames or workstations.

Greg Martin
Sage

Re: Errors "table does not have a primary key" and "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Certain users are predominently having the one error and other are having the other error.   Error can be repeated even after calling Sage Tech support and they had me run check and repair on server using ACT Diagnostics. 

The errors evern occur if logged on the server directly.  Not just the workstations.

HI Greg,

I have some screen shots I would like to post/or send to you, but they don't appear on this message when I go to upload them.  Can I email them to you instead?

Mike Shannon