Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Errors Writing to Document from Template

Errors Writing to Document from Template

The setup is a Windows 2012 Datacenter (64-bit) Terminal Server, ACT! 16.0.291 (hot fix 4), and Office 2013.  When we attempt to write document from template we get the following error first:

“This command is not available because no document is open” 

And then other attempts thereafter causes an error “Unable to cast COM object of type…” until ACT! is closed and re-opened. This also causes many hung versions of Word to become stuck in the background.

A workaround is to get ACT to open a new blank document, and then leave that document instance open all day, but this is causing other issues as many users use the work around.

I was wondering if anyone else was setup in a simmilar way and having success with these features or if there is a limitation of the program being used terminally like this.

Thanks!

Mike Johnston, ACC
www.keystroke.ca

Re: Errors Writing to Document from Template

Does the template that you're trying to use have images or tables in it? This can be caused by damaged images and tables. You can test this by removing the images and/or tables from the template then see if it throws the error without it them. If it doesn't, add them back and test again.

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com

No, there are no images in the templates we tested with. None of the templates work - all of them give this error unless Word is opened by using the Write> new document from ACT. If that is done first the templates merge fine but there are other issues that are steming from this work around. File in use errors etc.

Mike Johnston, ACC
www.keystroke.ca
Copper Contributor

I'm experiencing the same issue since upgrading from ACT v16 to Act! Premium Version 18.2.53.0, Update 1. 

I am still using the same version of Office (2013). 

Any suggestions? 

KeystrokeMike wrote:

No, there are no images in the templates we tested with. None of the templates work - all of them give this error unless Word is opened by using the Write> new document from ACT. If that is done first the templates merge fine but there are other issues that are steming from this work around. File in use errors etc.

Administrator

Hi rdunlop,

Please could you try running Word as administrator as described in the following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34333
Copper Contributor

I'm sorry for the simplicity of my next question but I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and the learning curve is evident....

• On item #2, it says "Rright-click the Microsoft Word-icon and choose Properties" but I do not have the properties option in Windows 10.
  • So I clicked more and then open file location and right-clicked the Word shortcut from there. I could get into the properties but there is no Compatibility tab. 
  • So I clicked on Advanced properties and Run as Administrator checkbox is greyed out. I have attached a screenshot. 

Is there a KB that provides instructions for Windows 10 users? 

Administrator

You might find some answers from the following Microsoft Community post helpful: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-security/why-is-run-this-program-as-a...

For further assistance with this issue, I would suggest giving our technical support team a call.
Copper Contributor

Answer found here in the second post: http://superuser.com/questions/547810/how-to-turn-off-always-run-as-administrator-windows-8

1. Right-Click on the executable
  2. Choose "Troubleshoot compatibility"
  3. Click "Troubleshoot program"
  4. Uncheck any and all checked items
  5. Click "Next"
  6. Choose "No, I have finished investigating the problem - undo any changes made and clear all settings"
  7. Click "Next"
  8. Click "Close the troubleshooter"

Good luck to anyone else who stumbles across this problem.