Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error when performing lookup in Act Premium for Web

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Error when performing lookup in Act Premium for Web

We are getting an error when doing lookups for text strings.  We are using Act Preium for Web 2008 (v.10) patched to 10.0.3, installed on a WinXP SP3 server.  Clients are using Internet Explorer 8.  The error only occurs when we do lookups for field data that does not result in any matches (i.e. a null result).  For example, search the last name "Smith" and we get results because that last name exists in the database.  Search instead for "Smoth" and we get the script error window.  The same error occurs when searching other fields in the that lead to a null result.  Selecting Yes or No (the only options) in the script error window does not solve the problem, the window has to be closed out.  Also, per other forum suggestions, we have turned off all script debugging in the Advanced settings tab for IE 8, but this has not solved the problem.  Downgrading to IE 7 is not really an option, as that has been also suggested as a solution.  Maybe I missed a posted solution or KB fix (or a possibly a solution doesn't exist for this version of Act?), but sure could use some help here.  Here's a link to a screenshot of the script error window: Lookup Script Error Screenshot

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author commstrat
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Error when performing lookup in Act Premium for Web

Many thanks for document on settings for IE8.  Now I recall a similar situation with IE7, and the fix was related to the blocking of pop-ups. (You joggled my memory.)  Act for Web apparently does not like pop-ups blocked, and a null result when doing a lookup presents a "No records were found...." pop-up which confuses IE8 unless you make sure to allow all pop-ups for the website of the database.

Though the IE8 document offered a number of configuration settings, I played with them all and narrowed the fix down to changing only one setting.  Here's the fix:

From IE8, go to:

<Tools>

<Pop-up Blocker>

<Pop-up Blocker Settings>

Now simply add the website where the Act database is hosted, and the null result lookup problem is solved.

Problem solved.  Cheers!

Also, I missed the webinar on Act 2011.  Do you plan another?

View solution in original post

All Replies
Silver Contributor

Attached as a IE8 Best Practices document we give to our hosting customers.  We see very few of these types of errors.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Solution
Accepted by topic author commstrat
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Many thanks for document on settings for IE8.  Now I recall a similar situation with IE7, and the fix was related to the blocking of pop-ups. (You joggled my memory.)  Act for Web apparently does not like pop-ups blocked, and a null result when doing a lookup presents a "No records were found...." pop-up which confuses IE8 unless you make sure to allow all pop-ups for the website of the database.

Though the IE8 document offered a number of configuration settings, I played with them all and narrowed the fix down to changing only one setting.  Here's the fix:

From IE8, go to:

<Tools>

<Pop-up Blocker>

<Pop-up Blocker Settings>

Now simply add the website where the Act database is hosted, and the null result lookup problem is solved.

Problem solved.  Cheers!

Also, I missed the webinar on Act 2011.  Do you plan another?

Silver Contributor

Yes, we do them on occasion.  Glad the settings document helped.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider