Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error when opening database - Could not be accessed ... check your network connection.... Norton?

Copper Elite Contributor

Error when opening database - Could not be accessed ... check your network connection.... Norton?

I have one client that is getting the error that it can't open the database. The only thing that changed prior to getting the error was that the Norton Anti Virus was renewed just prior. I tried turning of Norton and every other fix I cole find posted here. Nothing worked, I even uninstalled and reinstalled ACT. However, I did not reboot prior to reinstalling.  It opens the Demo database with no problem. Both are in the same directly. We have ACT Premium 2009, version 11.1.183.0 Hotfix 4. I have put over 8 hours into trouble shooting.   I have detached the database via actdiag.  The instructions say to double click the DB to re-attach. But, it won't open so it won't re-attach.  I have started to build a new remote database.  But, that is taking over 3 hours. I tried it before it was going for over 8 hours. It gets hung up at "Packaging remote database...".  I closed it down after that 8 hours, ran a DB repair on the server, and started it all over again. But, it is still taking hours. Any help?

Re: Error when opening database - Could not be accessed ... check your network connection.... Norton?

When you go into actdiag to detach the databsae, does it show it as being online or does it say anything about suspect or recovery mode?

For the 8 hour remote creation, do they have a lot of attachments? How long does it take if you try to do it without including the attachments in the creation of the remote?

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Error when opening database - Could not be accessed ... check your network connection.... Norton?

I'm confused why my remote DB files are so huge. They always have been. 6 months ago, they were about 5 GB. I just created one now for an agent. 7GB!  I compressed it to a .rar file. It is down to 2.8 GB. Moving it to my google drive so I can then retrieve it for my agent and get her back up  and running. The entire DB of about 3000 contacts with no attachments is about 400MB. The attachments are about 400MB as well. The temlates about 30MB.

Copper Elite Contributor

Is it possible that when I create my RDB files, it is including any save backups in that file?  If so, that might explain why it is so large.

Platinum Elite Contributor

See if any files in:
....\Databases\[[DBname]-database files\Backup

Databases is where your ADF is
Replace [DBname] with the name of your database

If so, make sure Act! is closed and delete them
The Backup folder should be empty, except when doing a backup ... it's just for temp storage

See this article - says Backup, but same for sync:
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14268