Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error when editing a new report - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Highlighted

Re: Error when editing a new report - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Got the same error. Just tired it on the  demo database and got the same error. Same message with a big red X over the report. Do I need to re-install ACT? I'd rather not. Surely there is a file I can re-create or something. I am pretty technical. What do you think?

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Error when editing a new report - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

That dislay you described, in my experience, is typically related to system resources being low. Have you tried editing one of the other standard reports? If it happens there also I would suspect a problem with the ACT! program files or possibly with the Microsoft .NET framework.

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
Highlighted

It happens with every report I try (at least 10). The ACT program is installed on a remote server that I can access. Which program files should I look at and what do you think I should change in them? If its the Microsoft .NET framework that may be above my head but I could try. Thanks.

Highlighted

There aren't specific files to change. The best is to first uminstall and then reinstall the ACT! program and see if that fixes the problem. By the way, both the ACT! install and the .NET framework refer to your local system, not the server. There's nothing to indicate that the database is the problem.

The .NET framework is another issue. One method would be to uninstall the ACT! program and then uninstall the .NET Framework and then reinstall the ACT! program which would also reinstall the .NET Framework. The problem is that other programs may be using the .NET Framework so good understanding of ypur system.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Highlighted

Ok. If I uninstall ACT will my saved database look exactly the same; meaning will I have to do re "attach" the data fields on my custom contact layouts?

Highlighted

You will lose your local preference settings but nothing in the database would change. You should be able to diractly open the database once you've reinstall the ACT! program. 

A tip, before you uninstall be sure to go to Help | About ACT! and copy down the serial number. Also I would make a safey backup of your database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert