Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error when editing a new report - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Error when editing a new report - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I created a new report and when adding a field to the Detail section of the report I get this message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". Anyone know how to correct it?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Error when editing a new report - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

How did you create the new report? Was it from scratch or by editing a standard report?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: Error when editing a new report - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I saved the blank contact report.

Do you mean the blank form with no fields or a copy of the contact report? Either way the likely problem is corruption in the template XML code. Can you run a standard report? If not make sure you have a printer driver installed.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Yes, I meant a blank form with no fields. I can run a standard report. I just can not add any fields when trying to edit a report template. I always get that same error. I am logged in as administrator.

Please provide more information. Does this happen with any field that you add? what field are you trying to add? Are you adding a contact field?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I am trying to add custom contact fields to the detail section of a re-saved blank contact report. I am not sure what other information I can provide; can you ask me more questions so we can get to the bottom of the problem?

What type of field, character, number, etc.?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Character

That definitely sounds like a corrupted template. Have you tried starting with a new copy of the blank template?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129