Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error saving design layout change. Access is denied

Re: Error saving design layout change. Access is denied

To answer your first question, yes, it just goes back to the original layout.

I tried changing the layout in the Act Demo database and it worked properly.

What can I do at this point?

As a FYI, I believe I have successfully changed the layout in the past. 

From the dropdown menu from the detail view do you see additional layouts but showing the same name as this potentially could be linked with a naming issue from the dropdown list.

To get a better idea some screenshots may help if you are able to provide them, ie original template / changes made and the names.

Dan, thanks again so much for helping me on this.

I don't see any duplicate names.

I've included some screen shots. If these are  not exactly what you want, please reply to specify. 

Thank you for the screenshots. it looks like you have edited the Tool bar where the layout changer would normally be and is missing. 

you may need to customise your columns to add it back in but should look like this screenshot i have included.

KB 14284 - How To Customize a Menu or Toolbar in ACT!

when customizing the toolbar, can you tell me where to find that specific tool? I can't seem to locate it.

however, once I add that to my tool bars, do you think that is going to effect the actual process of changing the layouts?

While you are in the contact detail view you should be able to go to 'Tools > Customise > Menus and Toolbars > Commands > Contact Detail Toolbar > Drag and drop the Select layout box to a position on your toolbar.

Once it is on there please close and reopen Act!

Dan,

I have went to the exact location to customize the toolbar and have taken a screenshot (see attached). I do not have a "select layout' box option. I have also ensured that I'm running the latest version of Act.

Also, now I have another problem. I added the tool that lists the record number (on my screenshot "10864 of 31500), which, as you can see from my screenshot, it is a duplicate. I can not delete this duplicate tool from the toolbar. I have restarted act and have gone through the proper procedure and have right clicked it and there is not option to delete the tool from the toolbar.

Can you tell me how to get this duplicate off my tool bar?

And, resolve my initial issue of not being able to make changes to my layout?

I believe there maybe an issue/corruption with the original Layout which is why I would like to try another layout. as this is all set by preferences and I believe that you removed the 'Select Layout' option before the preferences set it in the Customise menu.

I would normally recommend resetting the preferences however i can see you do have quite a bit of customisation already so would prefer to avoid resetting all of it.

As another way of working around this, I would like to try swapping the layouts - firstly please ensure Act! is closed, and navigate to where the layouts are stored and rename the main layout slightly differently (IE add old to the name) then rename the new layout we were able to Save As previously to the nam of the layout we just named old.

To remove the duplicate 'Contact number' if you go into 'Tools > Customise > Customise menus and Toolbars' > Right click on the number, it should give you a 'Delete' option.

Dan,

You are the man. Thanks so much. This resolved my issue.

However, I'm still unable to resolve my 2nd issue of deleting the duplicate tool.

I have followed your steps:

To remove the duplicate 'Contact number' if you go into 'Tools > Customize > Customize menus and Toolbars' > Right click on the number, it should give you a 'Delete' option.

When I do this and right click the "contact number" there is not a drop down menu or a "delete" option like there are on the other tools.  Note: I'm unable to delete either of the 'contact number' icons on the toolbar.

Glad to hear that is now working!

It would appear oddly the only item that is unable to be interacted with when added is the 'Contact Number'. I will raise this as a defect as understandably can get stuck.

I am afraid if you would like to remove this we would need to reset the preferences for this area. it would involve losing any customisation preformed to the toolbar that you have.

KB 14770 - How to rebuild the Act! Preferences file