Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error saving design layout change. Access is denied

Error saving design layout change. Access is denied

I'm running Act Pro v19.2.146.0 Update 3 on Windows 10 Pro.

I'm trying to change the order of the tabs (i.e. Notes, Web Info, History, etc.) and am receiving an error message

I run Act as "Run as Administrator"

I go to tools/design layout/coutact

then edit/tabs

I change the order of the tabs, hit close and save

and receive the error:

Error saving Layout: access to the path 'C:\users\.........' is denied.

I tried going to the folder to give permissions, but they are all already checked except for special permissions, which is greyed out and doesn't allow it to be checked.

I have searched this site for resolutions. The only 2 that come up are, 1. Run as Administrator (which I have done) and 2. give file/folder permission (which I have tried.).

Can anyone help

Re: Error saving design layout change. Access is denied

Hi equest,

I would like to know if the database is stored on your PC or a Server PC?

This does shout permissions are the issues to me, but can be easily tested by navigating to the path Act is referencing (By default would be: C:\Users\Username\Documents\ACT\ACT Data\Databases\Large_Database-database files\Layouts) once there please try and create a new text file or folder. 

To try you can also add everyone permission to the layouts folder by: Right click on folder > Properties > Security tab > Edit > Add > Type "everyone" in the box > Check Names > Ok > Tick Full Control for this user.

Thanks for the reply.

database is stored on my PC.

I completed both resolutions and am still receiving the same error.

I am wondering if it has not correctly inherited the permissions from the folder. If you are editing a template would you be able to check its individual permissions. Also when saving can you try Save As to see if it makes any difference.

Horn,

thanks again for the prompt reply.

My apologies, but I'm not sure I quite understand what you are suggesting I do.

Could you be more specific as to the steps you think I should try?

ch1p, I'm not sure you're actually adding anything here.

Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Go to the specific layout, right click and check it has the same permissions as the folder to make sure it has inherited the permissions correctly. Also try adding "everyone" and give full control.

Just to humour me did you get the same error when you tried to save the amended layout with a new name?

If you have not already done so reboot machine and retry once the above is done. 

ch1p, i'm not sure if you're reading my replies completely or not.

As stated, I have done what Hon requested initially and as stated, it did not work. Your message was simply a repeat of what he said.

Hon, again thanks so much for your responses. Could you please send me more detail on your last reply to stated specifically what you would like me to do?

Hi equest,

I would like to know if the problem is with the layout you are editing / trying to overwrite when saving, navigating to your layouts folder can you check the layout file itself and check to see if it has inherited the folder permissions by: Right clicking on File (Example Basic Contact Layout - 1024x768.cly) > Properties > Security tab > Edit - the Everyone permissions should of been added.

Also If you can try saving the layout from File > Save As  and slightly change the name of the layout so it does not attempt to overwrite the previous file and will create a new layout.

I hope this gives us some further information to work with.

I triple checked the permissions, and they have carried over from the folder to the specific layout file.

I also changed the the design layout and was able to save it as a slightly different name.

However, I was unable to use that new file as a design layout. I opened again and tried to save it and use it, but it keeps going back to the original design layout when exiting.

Thank you for testing,

To clarify what has been mentioned in the last sentence, It does allow you to Save As but when you change the layout from the drop down menu it will show the layout before the save point? 

If I have understood correctly it maybe best to try in another database in the same location and see if this can be replicated, it is quite odd what is happening now.