Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error messages re: memory

Error messages re: memory

We're running Act 2009 Premium v11.1.183.0 via terminal services and one user keeps getting memory related error messages. One is "exception of type 'system.outofmemoryexception' was thrown", the other is "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt". Nobody else gets these errors. They also get the same messages when running a locally installed copy of Act.

I've seen references to this being connected with Outlook but Act and Outlook are not connected in any way on our system, we don't use any sort of link between the two.

Any ideas?

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Error messages re: memory

I got the same problem when i mail merge

I have tried all the answers i have found here 

1) Office Diag reports no problems

2) renamed the normal.dot file still not work (although this did make it think a lot longer about it before giving me the error)

3) tried to repair office no change

4) tried to repair act database no change

i am using Sage ACT! Premium 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2, Word 2007, and Vista OS

Jason Dawson Financial Planning
Brisbane | Australia - JDFP Home Page

Act Ver - Act! Premium Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 3
OS - Windows 7 (stand alone machine)
MS Office - Enterprise 2007
Phone - Samsung Galaxy s6
Bronze Contributor

Even though you haven't connected ACT! + Outlook, the ACT.outlook.service.exe is always running and it's notorious on TS for running out of memory - major big time memory leaks - and there's an instance for each ACT! user on the TS.  Go Figure!

Anyway, you can disable it in the registry by going to (applies to ACT! locally installed, not ACT! for Web):

Windows 7 & Vista:

HKLM\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and deleting the Act.Outlook.Service Key

For XP:

HKLM\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and deleting the Act.Outlook.Service Key

While you're in there on non-TS servers, you can also delete the Act! Preloader key - it's a trick they use to make it seem like ACT! is loading faster, funny that I've never seen any other program by any other vendor have to revert to such 'tricks'.

Also with ACT! 2011, they have set the ACT! Outlook Calendar & Contact Sync app to start from Programs, Startup and you can delete that on non-TS servers, too, for all users.

So why do they start the Act.outlook.service.exe from the registry while they start the ACT! Outlook Calendar & Contact sync from Programs, Startup?  Why aren't they consistent?  Maybe two different coders?  Ask them.

And why do they need a copy of act.outlook.service.exe running for each users on a TS?  Why can't one instance support multiple users?  Ask them.

And why does ACT! constantly throw GDI errors when running on TS?  Ask them.

Signature
Copper Super Contributor

A further update on my issue

I can merge in to word and excel just not email that includes mail merge to email and single email

I have checked the Act Outlook addin is working fine and Act Outlook services is running, so i am at a total loss why i can not email any more and why that error message appears

Jason Dawson Financial Planning
Brisbane | Australia - JDFP Home Page

Act Ver - Act! Premium Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 3
OS - Windows 7 (stand alone machine)
MS Office - Enterprise 2007
Phone - Samsung Galaxy s6