Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error message

Error message

Hi, running Windows 10 and this morning it seems like a massive update happened.Took almost an hour with several restarts before I could access my computer. However when I could get back to work I have been unable to start Act V17 as the following message comes up. 

"The “.” Computer could not be reached because the IP address “” could not be resolved. Verifying the “.” Computer is available on the network, that it has the correct IP address, and that Microsoft SQL server is properly installed may resolve the issue."

I tried running in admin mode with no success. Everything was running fine yesterday. Any ideas?

Best regards

Administrator

Re: Error message

Hi there Norman,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting in to your Act! Database.

It sounds like the SQL Server (a background service that Act! requires to run properly) was disabled by the Windows Update - thankfully this is usually really easy to resolve, just follow the steps detailed below on the machine that hosts your database:

1. Hold down the Windows Key and hit 'R' - this should bring up the 'run' window
  2. In the text box, type  'services.msc' and hit 'OK
  3. You should see the services window pop up - scroll through the alphabetical list of services until you reach SQL Server (ACT7) [pictured below]
  4. Right-click on this service and choose either Start or Restart (whichever is available)

servicesSQL.PNG

Once this service has started (should be listed as Running or Started in the Status column) - open up Act! and try to access your database.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Please try Jon's suggestion first but if that does not work I have seen the Windows updates corrupt the ACT preferences.

More information here -

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14770

Hi, Thanks for the above advice. 

I was pretty stuck yesterday and in desperation I backed up my Act databases onto a memory stick and completely uninstalled Act. I then restarted my computer several times to make sure everything was gone. Then I re-installed Act with my fingers crossed. 

It worked perfect after that!. It would have saved a lot of time applying the techniques offered and I have printed them out just in case it happens again.

Many thanks for all your help

Best regards

Copper Contributor

Perfect!