Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error message when opening a database This database is not shared error.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

Error message when opening a database This database is not shared error.

On a remote computer, when trying to open an existing remote database after I uninstalled the same version of ACT and reinstalled becuse of some problems on the computer. 2009 Premium v11 hot fix 4.  The remote is running   Windows Home Premium service pack 1. 8 GB RAM.  64-bit Operating System. Error message:  This database is not shared. To access layouts, templates, and attachments associated with the database, it must be shared. Please contact s the database administrator for more information.

When I open up ACTDIAG, the DB is not listed. Because I have yet to be able to open it.

The reason I unstalled and reinstalled is because her computer guy renamed her computer. It seemed like ACT couldn't find the database after that. I edited the .PAD file to fix the name of the computer to the file path for the DB.  Should I have uninstalled SQL as well?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author tbudde
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Error message when opening a database This database is not shared error.

You shouldn't have to uninstall and reinstall SQL in order to get this to work. Instead of using the existing PAD file, rename the existing PAD file and attempt to open using the Database .ADF file by going to File > Open Database. Then browse to the location your database is store, make sure the file type is set to ADF, then select the database . This should create a new PAD file and connect the database to SQL.

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author tbudde
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

You shouldn't have to uninstall and reinstall SQL in order to get this to work. Instead of using the existing PAD file, rename the existing PAD file and attempt to open using the Database .ADF file by going to File > Open Database. Then browse to the location your database is store, make sure the file type is set to ADF, then select the database . This should create a new PAD file and connect the database to SQL.

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Copper Elite Contributor

Sweet!  worked like a charm!

Copper Elite Contributor

Oh no!  I thought it worked. But it won't allow me to sync now. It gives me this error:  Synchronization has failed. Server Error Description: .RDB has already been unpacked and synced at least once. Plese recreate remote DB or restore a backed up copy. Contact your administration for assistance.  Why is this?  The last sync it says was 1/28. That is correct.

When you uninstalled and reinstalled, did you try to reload the database using the .RDB that the remote database was originally created from? If so, then you probably overwrote the ADF. An RDB file is only meant to be used once to restore the remote to the machine it is intended to be on, then should be deleted.

If the situation stated above does not apply and you only used the ADF, it might be possible that the machine that the main database is on might be on a different version than the one that your remote is on since you uninstalled and reinstalled. Take a look at this knowledgebase article for more information: http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16532

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage