Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error message on signing in to offline client: The database could not be accessed...

Copper Contributor

Error message on signing in to offline client: The database could not be accessed...

We have a subscription to Act Premium v20 with 3 offline clients.  Each user is running his own database and none are shared.  All users were upgraded to v20 at the same time last November, so should all have Act Premium v20.0.159.0 update 4, and SQL server 2014 express edition, though obviously I can't look at the problem offline database.

One user cannot sign in to his offline client today, but had no problem 2 days ago.  After entering user name and password on login page he gets the error message:  "The database (xxxxxx) could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.... "

No other users have issues on signing in to the offline client.  He says nothing has been changed on his laptop, and there were no power outages.  He is running the offline client on a Mac with Windows 7 installed using Parallels.  He can sign in to his cloud database.

Looking through the list of possible solutions, most apply to older versions of Act, cloud access, problems after power outage, etc, none of which would seem to apply here.

Is a corrupted offline database the most likely problem, or something else?

Thanks

Administrator

Re: Error message on signing in to offline client: The database could not be accessed...

Are you able to navigate to the host PC through Windows File explorer?

Try going to "\\<HOST PC NAME>" in the address bar of file explorer. Are you able to see the database folder here?

If it asks for a username and password to access the PC, make sure that this user has rights to access files on the host PC and that the credentials you enter are 'saved' (click remember me).

If you aren't able to access the PC by going to \\<host> then it may be a network issue - or it could be permissions.
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Error message on signing in to offline client: The database could not be accessed...

Also check that SQL has started. Try a restart to check otherwise run services.msc to check.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

I'm the Act admin but not an IT person...

So please tell me which you mean by the "host PC"?  If this is the user's laptop, yes he has right to access files.  And he could open his db a few days ago, and says he hasn't changed anything.  None of the users is on a corporate network.  I wouldn't think permissions are an issue.

First thing I had him do was reboot to make sure SQL Server was running, though in the past with that problem we've had an error message specifying it wasn't running which isn't the case here.

Corrupted db or is there another possibility we should look at?

Thanks!

Administrator

When we're talking about the host PC - we mean the one where the database is stored.
Copper Contributor

Re: Error message on signing in to offline client: The database could not be accessed... ADP file missing

Called Tech support and found that the ADP file was missing for some reason.

Restored database and synced.

The  next time the user tried to open the offline client he got the same message, so I'm assuming the ADP file is missing again.  (Will have the laptop in front of me later this morning.)

Any idea on why this would keep happening?

Thanks!

Administrator

Re: Error message on signing in to offline client: The database could not be accessed... ADP file missing

I think you might mean the ADF file, and if so, then this is the main database file.

The only reason I could think why it might go missing would be if your antivirus/firewall software has quarantined it for some reason?

You can follow this KB to add all recommended exceptions to your antivirus software:

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25125
Copper Contributor

Re: Error message on signing in to offline client: The database could not be accessed... ADF file missing

Yes, ADF file.

Thanks, I'll try this.

Copper Contributor

Re: Error message on signing in to offline client: The database could not be accessed... ADF file missing

Webroot doesn't show that it quarantined or removed the ADF file.

Is it still worth adding all the exceptions for Act?

Administrator

I'd recommend it, did you confirm if the ADF file was missing the second time again?