Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error message about a field that doesn't exist

Tuned Listener

Error message about a field that doesn't exist

I'm trying to create a company from a contact by clicking "Companies", "Create company from contact".  I'm getting this error message:

"The Tbl_Company Category field doesn't allow empty values."

The trouble is that when I try to find the field in the menu Tools/Define Fields/Companies,  the field "Category"  doesn't exist.  It could have been one that I created earlier and then deleted.

Is there a database utility I can run to get rid of this field that apparently is still in the table but not accessible from the UI?

Thanks....
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Error message about a field that doesn't exist

Try the Fields summary and Company Linked fields reports from ACTDIAG

Does it happen if you create new Companies directly rather than from Contacts?

Thank you for your response.  I can create a company from scratch and don't receive the error message.  I also ran the report from ACTDiag, and the category field is not there.  I ran the Check and Repair utility on it, and that didn't help either.  Is there anything else I can do?  We are definitely going to need this functionality.

Thanks.

Hmmmmm,   to further complicate the issue it seems that after creating and working with groups the message disappears and this functionality actually works.  However, after rebooting the error message is back. 

I even recreated the field and made it so it can accept blank entries but still receive the error message. 

sunny wrote:

Hmmmmm,   to further complicate the issue it seems that after creating and working with groups the message disappears and this functionality actually works.  However, after rebooting the error message is back. 

I even recreated the field and made it so it can accept blank entries but still receive the error message. 

Are you running on a LAN?

Does the fix you mention go away afte rebooting server or workstation?

Does the problem happen on server, workstation, more than one workstation?

Does it happen in the demo database?

Yes, I'm on a LAN.  The error message is only specific to this database.  It doesn't appear in the demo or our other database.  It occurs both working on the server and with a synced remote copy.  The error goes away sometimes after rebooting the client.  I haven't tried rebooting the server.

Thanks..

In the ACTDIAG report, did you check both Company and Contact fields?

What's the exact version of ACT! (from Help | about)?

Are the versions of the server, any workstations and remotes the same?

Is that error exact?

Tip - to post an error, when it pops-up, press Ctrl-C. Then go to the Post and Ctrl-V or Paste... this will paste the text of any error

After the error occurs, can you close ACT!, run LogViewer.exe (from the ACT! folder) and post any more detail from the error if it exists?

db
Copper Contributor

The table company category is the field  = "ID status" in the company view.

If you have asked that this field must be full, it's so normal.

You must checked "allow Blank". for this field.