Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error message: Attempted to read or write protected memory.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

Error message: Attempted to read or write protected memory.

I'm getting this error. I use 2008 Premium 10.0.3.182 Hotfix 1

Error reads: Error message: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

Error comes up when Mail merge is complete and before the document displays. I tried multiple templates. The same templates were working just before I upgraded MS Word.  Word processor is MS Word 2007. When I had MS Word 2003 on there, I wasn't having this problem.  I ran Word diagnostics. No problems found. All good.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author tbudde
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Error message: Attempted to read or write protected memory.

Actually, MS diagnostics did fix it afterall. I posted my message as it was on its last step and had yet to find any problems. Then, during the last stage, it found one problem and fixed it. Perhaps it automatically did what you were suggesting?  I do get a message most every day that the normal.dot file has changed and do I want to save it. I always say no. Perhaps I should say yes?

View solution in original post

All Replies

tbudde,

Close ACT!, Word, Outlook and search the computer for normal.dot and rename what it finds.

Windows XP:

1. In the Search Results window, enter normal.dot in the All or part of the file name box.
  2. Click Local Hard Drives in the Look in drop-down list.
  3. Expand More Advanced Options by clicking it.
  4. Select the Search system folders, Search hidden files and folders, and Search subfolders check boxes.
  5. Clear the Case sensitive and Search tape backup check boxes.
  6. Click Search Now.

Windows Vista:

1. In the Search field, enter normal.dot
  2. Expand Advanced Search by clicking it.
  3. Click Local Hard Drives in the Look in drop-down list.
  4. Place a check in Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files (might be slow)
  5. Click Search. 

Solution
Accepted by topic author tbudde
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Actually, MS diagnostics did fix it afterall. I posted my message as it was on its last step and had yet to find any problems. Then, during the last stage, it found one problem and fixed it. Perhaps it automatically did what you were suggesting?  I do get a message most every day that the normal.dot file has changed and do I want to save it. I always say no. Perhaps I should say yes?
Copper Contributor

Thanks everyone for that - I had that same problem (posted on here for months) and the cure is to repair your MS Office - works great now !

What happened after search complete?

Please reply

Reggie Padgett

Platinum Elite Contributor

rpadgett,

Rename any files that match to "normal.old". You can also follow the suggestion to run Detect & Repair (Office 2002-2003) or Office Diagnostics (Office 2007) from the Help menu in your Office application.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.