Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error in ACT 12 Premium for the Web

Copper Contributor

Error in ACT 12 Premium for the Web

[ Edited ]

My colleague is trying to access our ACT database via the desktop client. We recently moved the database onto our production server. We're using Hotfix 3.

We've got a shared database... From my desktop, I can access the ACT database on the server with no problems.

After logging in with her username and password on her machine, she gets the following error:

Error getting Activity Series: Input string was not in a correct format

Attempts to log into her account from machines OTHER than hers are successful, so the problem is apparently with her machine. Attempts to log into MY account from HER machine also fail. I uninstalled ACT from her machine, rebooted, and installed it again, along with Hot Fix 3.

The problem persists. I'm not even sure where to look to solve this issue! Any guidance would be appreciated.

Message Edited by vogelap on 11-04-2009 02:51 PM
-drew
www.drewvogel.com

ACT! 2013 Premium; Microsoft Office 2010
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Error in ACT 12 Premium for the Web

Is she able to log into a local database on her machine, such as the demo (ACT2010Demo)? Also, make sure that her time settings and regional date/time settings (in the Control Panel) match the rest of the machines.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thank you very much for your comment. I appreciate your time!

I will check her timezone settings & regional date/time settings are consistent. Then I will attempt to log her into her local Act2010Demo database and report back the findings.

She's got someone in her office right now, or else I'd do it immediately!

-drew
www.drewvogel.com

Copper Contributor

Her timezone & regional settings are consistent with the server. She is NOT able to open the Act2010Demo database on her machine, so it's not database specifc (I think)...

I welcome any advice on how to proceed!

-drew
www.drewvogel.com

It sounds like this error may be a result of an issue with ACT! with her Windows user profile. I could not tell you exactly what that would be, but the only way I know to get around it is to log into her machine under a different profile. If using Vista, then you can activate the built-in Administrator account and log in under that.  Instructions for this are in KB Article 21797. You can also create a new profile for her and sign into Windows under that.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

That's a great idea, and thank you for the reply. Once she's here today, i will attempt to log into her machine under MY account to see if I can launch ACT. If I can launch ACT under my profile on her machine, then it clearly points to something wrong with her user profile. If I cannot launch ACT under my profile on her machine, then it points to the issue being her machine. Thanks for the tip. I'll report back.
-drew
www.drewvogel.com

Copper Contributor

On her machine, I logged into her Windows account then tried to log into ACT as her. ACT failed with the error in my first message, as it has in the past.

On her machine, I logged into her Windows account then tried to log into ACT as ME. It failed, as it has in the past.

On her machine, I logged into MY Windows account then tried to log into ACT as ME. It worked -- I was able to use ACT.

It seems that the problem is with her user account. What might make that the case?

-drew
www.drewvogel.com

It could be her permissions level or possibly damage to her profile. Unfortunately, I cannot offer any assistance in "fixing" her profile, only that she either needs to have a new user profile created or use the built-in Administrator account.

Greig Hollister