Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error When Searching for a City Using the Keyboard

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Error When Searching for a City Using the Keyboard

Using Act! Premium Version 19.2.146.0, Update 3

When using the keyboard ( Alt - L - T) to search for a city I get the following response: "No Records Were Found That Match the Specified Criteria". 

Any thoughts?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by JonTaylor (Administrator)
‎10-20-2017 03:24 AM
Administrator

Re: Error When Searching for a City Using the Keyboard

Hi Billbake,

This looks like a potential defect in Act! as I've been able to replicate it on a few different machines - and the same process works correctly for other menu items.

As you've described, hitting 't' to start a lookup window based on city causes the lookup to immediately return no results.

I've escalated this to our developers to take a look at the issue.

In the meantime, a relatively simple workaround would be bind a custom keyboard shortcut (a good choice here might be Alt + T) to the City Lookup - I can confirm that this does work correctly.

You can do this by going into Tools > Customise > Menus and Toolbars... and then going to the 'Keyboard' tab. 

From here select '&Lookup' on the left, and then '&City' on the right, before clicking 'Assign Shortcut' and entering your desired Keyboard Shortcut.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by JonTaylor (Administrator)
‎10-20-2017 03:24 AM
Administrator

Hi Billbake,

This looks like a potential defect in Act! as I've been able to replicate it on a few different machines - and the same process works correctly for other menu items.

As you've described, hitting 't' to start a lookup window based on city causes the lookup to immediately return no results.

I've escalated this to our developers to take a look at the issue.

In the meantime, a relatively simple workaround would be bind a custom keyboard shortcut (a good choice here might be Alt + T) to the City Lookup - I can confirm that this does work correctly.

You can do this by going into Tools > Customise > Menus and Toolbars... and then going to the 'Keyboard' tab. 

From here select '&Lookup' on the left, and then '&City' on the right, before clicking 'Assign Shortcut' and entering your desired Keyboard Shortcut.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for confirming the problem and the temp work around.  I'll try it and see how it goes.

Jon:  I just upgraded to v20 two days ago and I'm getting the same error message "No records were found that match the specified criteria" on all three computers that I have installed it on.  I did Chat support and remote support and both tried your fix but no help as when I try to enter Alt, l, t, when assigning the shortcut, it enters "Alt+" in the line and the cursor freezes ahead of the A and won't accept any more characters and I have to cancel to get out of it.  The remote Tech was able to enter from his side and it put in Alt, l, t and it showed as "Alt+Packet" to the right of the Ci&ty line.  Note that he was doing this using the "Ci&ty" line but the Chat Tech used the &City line, either way it did the same for both when I tried from my side.  The Chat Tech gave up and had me call for remote assistance, and then he gave up as well, stating that there must be a problem with my keyboard or some hardware commands with my computer.  I refuted this by asking why it's happening on all of my computers, two PC's (one ASUS and one HP) and my HP laptop (all on Windows 10 Home) and he had no answer and just told me there wasn't anything more he could do.  

All of this said, has there been any resolution to this issue and could it be a possible problem with my download?  I'm a regional Sales Rep and use this function a lot for sorting through contacts and making calls, so would nice to resolve this soon.  Thanks for your help.

AL

Administrator

Hi Al,

The core reason for this problem is that the Lookup menu, by default, contains TWO 't' character shortcuts. Both "City" and "Favorites"...

So we can fix this by removing the 't' shortcut from the "Favorites" option.

Check out the steps below for a resolution:

First go to Tools > Customize > Menus and Toolbars...

Act!_2018-06-01_11-24-13.png

Now with the Customise Menus window OPEN, go to Lookup > Right-click on Favorites > Click into "Name" > Remove the & character from the middle of the word. This "&" character is what identifies the following letter as a shortcut.

Act!_2018-06-01_11-29-55.png

Once you're done you can close the Customise Menus and Toolbars window, and you should be able to use "Alt + L, T" to open the City lookup!

Hope this helps!