Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error Retrieving Company Keys

Copper Contributor

Error Retrieving Company Keys

I am receiving this error message (Error Retrieving Company Keys) when attempting to record a group history from the group detail. When selecting the contacts, I select the group I'm using, add all group contacts and click OK. It is just after this step that I receive the error message.

Any suggestions? I am using ACT 2008 (10.0)

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Error Retrieving Company Keys

Just a few questions to help better understand the issue:

- What is the complete error message you are receiving? 

- Does this error happen when you attempt to record Company history as well, or just Group history?

- Are you on a shared database, and if so, does this happen with other users as well?

- Does this happen in the Demo database (ACT10Demo)?

- Have you run maintenance on the database (Tools/Database Maintenance/Check and Repair)?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

I'll try to answer all of these questions:

- What is the complete error message you are receiving? 

What I had listed is the complete error message

- Does this error happen when you attempt to record Company history as well, or just Group history?

No, his only occurs when attempting to record Group History.

- Are you on a shared database, and if so, does this happen with other users as well?

Yes we are on a shared DB and this error occurs with multiple users.

- Does this happen in the Demo database (ACT10Demo)?

I'm not sure about this: I ended up running a check for ACT! updates (Help-->ACT! Update) and then ran the available update on a test DB. I no longer receive the error message, however, I now have to convert all of my DBs to the upgraded format to access them.

- Have you run maintenance on the database (Tools/Database Maintenance/Check and Repair)?

No, not yet.

Do you know of a way to resolve my issue without running a full update? Or do you know how to revert back from an update? Thanks so much for your help!

Platinum Elite Contributor

You can try the maintenance:

- From within ACT! on the server, go to Tools/Database Minatenance/Check and Repair....run this twice in a row

- Close ACT! on the server

- Go to Start/Run then type in actdiag

- When ACT! Diagnostics is open, go to Databases, then Database List

- Highlight your main database, right-click on it and locate the Database Rebuilds option

- From the submenu under Database Rebuilds, run the first 4 rebuilds one at a time

If this does not resolve the issue, then it seems the update does. Once you have updated the program and the database, the only way to "undo" it is to uninstall the updated version and reinstall the prior version. For the database, you would have to restore a backup from before you applied the update. It may be easier to move forward with the update.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.