Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error Message Upon Opening Act! Premium 2010

Copper Contributor

Error Message Upon Opening Act! Premium 2010

I get this error message on different workstations "The Database could not be accessed. In order to access this database verify...." Then a windows explorer window opens and click on the .PAD file again and the datsbase opens. This seems very buggy to me. Anyone suggestions? I've already re-installed and nothing works.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Error Message Upon Opening Act! Premium 2010

When does the error occur? When they first open ACT!? This may be an issue with the Preferences setting as to which database to try an open on startup. On each machine, go to Tools > Preferences > Startup tab > Startup Database. Make sure it is not set to open an invalid database path. It should be "Last opened", or you can put in the filepath to the .PAD file for the database they use.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

checked that and it's def not a start up issue. I event went as far as to set the start up named DB as the .pad file on the network drive. SO strange. Every time we open up Act it gives us that error message then a window opens and we can select the .PAD file that's on our desktop and it opens up ok. This is so annoying. Smiley Sad any other ideas, please? much appreciated.
Platinum Elite Contributor

It sounds like it may be an issue connecting to the database on the server. As a test, try these two things:

- In the preferences for one of the workstations, change the startup database to be the .PAD file for that machine's local copy of the demo database (ACT2010Demo). Close and reopen ACT! and see if the error occurs

- Go physically to the server hosting the database and open ACT! directly on the server (machine hosting the database) and see if the error occurs.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.