Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error. Database cannot be accessed.

Error. Database cannot be accessed.

[ Edited ]

Regarding: ACT! Premium 2010

Previously we were using ACT! on (Small Business Server) SBS 2003, which contained SQL 2005. Recently, the server has been updated and we are now using SBS 2011 with SQL 2008.

ACT! works fine on the server computer, however other users are not able to access the database.

The user computers keep getting the followin error messages:

The database [database name] could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server.

Also, we tried all the steps in the following Sage Customer Support.

Nickel Contributor

Re: Error. Database cannot be accessed.

I can only assume your SQL change has disabled or changed the behaviour of SQL Broswer. You can get around hte need for this by going into ACT! Diag or SQL Admin and getting the IP Port number for your SQL ACT7 install and adding this to your pad file (same as the instructions to change the PAD file to an IP Address in the link above, but put in 192.168.0.100,{ACT7SQLportnumber}
Travis Rosevear ACC for
Act Today Australia and New Zealand
Nickel Elite Contributor

Turn off the Firewall entirely on the server just to test.

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

I have the same problem with ACT Premium 2009.  Have tried several steps recommended on support site, to no avail.  Ran actdiag and get following error message:

: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified).

I will appreciate any advice that anyone can offer.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hellp PrudentAsset,

When the server was updated to SQL 2008, were the client machines also updated to SQL 2008?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hello wronkilgore,
Welcome to Sage ACT! Community. Are you receiving this error trying to access a local database or a database hosted on another machine?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thank you, Greig.  It is a database hosted on another machine.  I have the database on a laptop that I use as my primary computer, and on a desktop computer.  The problem is with the remote database on the desktop.

Is it an actual remote database created from the main database on the laptop? If so, this would be local to that desktop machine. Please clarify.

Greig Hollister

Yes it is.  On laptop, database name is SPD_MAIN and on the desktop it is SPD_MAIN_REMOTE.  Synchronizations are initiated from the desktop.

It sounds like an issue with the local SQL Server on the desktop. If you go to your Services (start > Run > type "services.msc"), locate the SQL Server (ACT7) service and make sure it is started.

Greig Hollister