Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Entered All Customers Mistakenly under Companies instead of Contacts: Need to transfer this information from Company to Contacts!!

Entered All Customers Mistakenly under Companies instead of Contacts: Need to transfer this information from Company to Contacts!!

[ Edited ]

I have Act Premium 9.0 2007 version.  I have entered all of my notes, customer contacts, and business customers under the businesses tab instead of the contacts tab. My sales manager cannot pull any updates or reports to see my activity since they were entered incorrectly. I do not want to re enter 70 businesses back into the contacts tab when they have already been entered under the businesses tab.  Is there any way I can export these under "businesses" and import them back onto ACT as "contacts?'

Thanks

Matt

Silver Contributor

Re: Entered All Customers Mistakenly under Businesses instead of Contacts: Need to transfer this information from Business to Contacts!!

I'm not aware of a business tab. If you mean the company view as opposed to the contact view, there is not a good option short of exporting the whole thing and reimporting.  Most consultants can help you with this.

If you mean just a different tab on the contacts view, this can be done by swaping the fields using edit, copy,

Make sure you backup your database before attempting any of this!

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Re: Entered All Customers Mistakenly under Businesses instead of Contacts: Need to transfer this information from Business to Contacts!!

Thank you for your help. I meant companies instead of businesses sorry about that.  Since our version is outdated we do not have support that can help me with this.  I would definitely like to export the companies and then import them to contacts but do not know how.

Any direction would be helpful

Matt

Silver Contributor

If you don't need notes/histories, export the list to excel and reimport as contacts.

(866)710 4228

The notes aren't terribly important as I have just been updating for the last month or so.

That is exactly what I would like to do except when I go to click on the export button it will not let me click on it.

Can you provide instructions or a link to instructions as to how to export business files and import as contacts?

I have exported the businesses but cannot import them back to ACT.  I have a web based version and all of the Customer Support sites say I need to choose File and then import data.  I do not have a file tab on my version..Please help!!

Silver Contributor

Import is not available in the Web Client. you would either need to import on the server (which is the desktop client) or install on a workstation. However, the task of automatically linking contacts to companies is only done by an add in piece.

(866)710 4228