Do you mean 

English US -or- Europe -what difference

Copper Contributor

English US -or- Europe -what difference

For Act 10 there were two different Versions

English US

English Europe

Will that be the case for Act11 also?

More important to know: Can somebody describe me the difference?

We are a mixed German/Belgium/Netherlands team so we are going to use the English SW version

but I want to make sure we are using the correct one...

Technically I know already that a specific addon (developed in US) did not work on the  "Europe" version,

throwing several SQL errors and crashing the application regulary.

But I probably have to use the Europe variant when installing Act on a European PC with local country setting.

It would make no sense to have

all amounts shown in $ instead in € and

all figures as 9,999.99 while Europeans uses 9.999,99 (decimal dot is comma here)

all dates in US form while Europe uses DD.MM.YYYY everywhere

Thanks for your feedback

Martin Glueckmann
ACT since 1995 for 40+ user teams in
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Benelux
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: English US -or- Europe -what difference

There's also English Australia/NZ. The main differences (ASAIK) are spelling and the net links to the local Sage offices.

Addons that don't work in a specific regional eddition are often because Sage regionalise some of the back end spellings (which they really shouldn't) and the add-on developerdidn't know to take this into consideration.

Which add-on is it?

Regional settings like currency are set in the database when the database is created... they are not based on the version of ACT!, but on the Windows regional settings on the machine at the time you create the database.

One warning... Sage also sets the ACT! country and language version in the database at this time and you cannot access it with a different country version of ACT!. No one has ever been able to explain why they do this. It makes life difficult for those with users outside Nort America, especially in Europe.

You might post a request for this to be changed in future versions here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on. The more that request this, the more chance they will listen.

Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

GLComputing wrote:

There's also English Australia/NZ. The main differences (ASAIK) are spelling and the net links to the local Sage offices.

Other little differences:
- some region-specific dropdown list values including the Cities and States
- a few field names get named differently, like "Zip Code" becomes "Post Code", and "Last Name" becomes "Surname", etc

Message Edited by m4y on 09-01-2008 04:27 PM

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }

It's the differences in the "back end" like forcing the regional settings (language and currency) into the database when it's created that are worse and some field changes in the SDK that are silly.

It  would be good if Sage would produce a White Paper with a definative list of all the differences or, better yet, discuss these regionalisation issues with ACCs in the regions and add-on developers who sell globaly... but the way Sage seems to be further enforcing the regionalisation, this seems unlikely.

Copper Contributor

Many thanks for the feedback(s)...

Unfortunately I understand that there is no "list" yet and that SAGE is not going to prepare one in short term (!?).

What is this vendor expecting from the people generating his income (aka customers):   crystal balling?

As with any technical solution that has a price tag, I would start to go into advertising "after" polishing up my documentation.

That what we are doing in our business and  that's what we expect from our partners too,

so maybe somebody at SAGE can push for such a list to be released in the near future ???

And yes, I fully support the need of having a "global" database with "local" frontends.

That is what we are using for ERP Systems since years and that was my greatest argument to convince

Act users to switch from Act5/6 Foxpro to 200x SQL: no more problems "SQL data can be read in any language",

seems I was a little bit too enthusiastic about this detail...

During my recent testing I found already two ACTSDK developed addons that bounced on "International" versions...

Martin Glueckmann

Martin wrote:

Many thanks for the feedback(s)...

Unfortunately I understand that there is no "list" yet and that SAGE is not going to prepare one in short term (!?).

What is this vendor expecting from the people generating his income (aka customers):   crystal balling?

As with any technical solution that has a price tag, I would start to go into advertising "after" polishing up my documentation.

That what we are doing in our business and  that's what we expect from our partners too,

so maybe somebody at SAGE can push for such a list to be released in the near future ???

And yes, I fully support the need of having a "global" database with "local" frontends.

That is what we are using for ERP Systems since years and that was my greatest argument to convince

Act users to switch from Act5/6 Foxpro to 200x SQL: no more problems "SQL data can be read in any language",

seems I was a little bit too enthusiastic about this detail...

During my recent testing I found already two ACTSDK developed addons that bounced on "International" versions...

Unfortunately, everyone at Sage US (including the management of this Community site) just respond with "we can only look after North America", but the regional oddices don't have the resources to provide the same services outside Nort America... it appears Sage US has become quite xenophobic.

The only think I can suggest would be to contact an ACT! Consultant in Europe... some of them might have done the work and have prepared such a list

Hello,

Lets keep these types of conversations through private messages or emails.  This isn't the right place to discuss these issues.

Thank you.

dlunceford wrote:

Hello,

Lets keep these types of conversations through private messages or emails.  This isn't the right place to discuss these issues.

Unfortunately, PMs and emails don't really help us get people with the possible knowledge to help

Is there anyone at Sage who can help with a definative list of the changes UI and back end between the different country versions?

The regional offices don't have the info, but it would be very useful for a lot of users and consultants alike.

Martin, where can I find the two ACTSDK developed addons for the "International" version? Thank you.

Copper Contributor

Sorry if it was misunderstood,

there is not 2 addons developed for the "international" version..

Instead I have at that time found already 2 addons that were definitively incompatible with NON-US ACT database versions.

Topline Desiner and Jim Durkins Designer both bounced on a date error, and both developers assured me that

this errors are bound to a bug in SAGEs SDK that does not transposes date values correctly.

US date:   13th November 2xxx     looks in US 11/13/2xxx      in Germany 13.12.2xxx

if such a date is used im a calculation or even in a record deletion that needs to be registered in the transaction log

the application bounces as it interpretes the german date 13.12.2xxx   wrongly as 13/12/2xxx returning "wrong month!  "13")

it even does not really show the error in clear text- it just bounces with "invalid country processor" leaving the user in the dark.

SAGE stated that this bug should be tackled with Hotfix No.1 for ACT 11 later, but I never got any more feedback on this.

best regards,

Martin

Martin Glueckmann