Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Encounter slow in ACT

Copper Contributor

Encounter slow in ACT

Hi All , This is my frist post.  i like to ask the above mentioned .

i have 11K record. the reasons i upgrade from ACT6 to ACT10 i though ACT10 is using SQL it should be faster , but i am disappointed that it does not solve my problem.

So i think may be due to my data base is too big.

Hope some one can give me advise how to solve this problem.

Paul Yeo

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Encounter slow in ACT

What hardware - Processor, RAM and Hard disk speed in RPM?

What Operating System?

Shared on a LAN or local?

11,000 contacts isn't that big for ACT! - depending on the hardware you have. SQL doesn't slow down for larger databases like ACT! 6, but does need more hardware at the low end.

I'd recommend (assuming XP) - 1GB RAM (minimum, more is better and 2GB if Vista) and a 7200 rpm drive (10,000 if shared with 10+ users)

Also, make sure you set your Windows page file to 2GB (both max and min) - defrage before you do this.

And exclude ADF and ALF files from your anti-virus

Finally, what version of ACT! (the full build from Help | About)? If 10.0.0 or 10.0.1, update to 10.0.2 or 10.0.3

Copper Contributor

Hi Sir,

Thank you for answer my question ,Sorry for my late reply ,  I am shared on LAN . all our server and note book new with high speed . it work well with all my other software , like SPSS and Qlikview and other software.  

My ACT version is 10.0.3.

what you mean by :-  

defrage before you do this. And exclude ADF and ALF files from your anti-virus Finally

Paul Yeo

How much RAM or server and workstation?

What HDD speed on server/workstation?

Defrag - Windows defrag

What anti-virus do you use?

Copper Contributor

Hi Mike ,

Thank you for your reply , i will check and get back to you if my IT manager want to tell me . As most of us already live with this slow speed for the last 10 year , so some how they already get use to it. and think that this is due ot ACT software is slow. but recently when i notice that ACT 10 using SQL , so i though it should be faster , but then it turn out to be the sames. 

Paul Yeo

ACT! 6.0 will load faster (it's smaller), but will slow down noticably with larger databases.

ACT! 10 is faster in many functions than 6.0, especially with larger databases, but only if you have the right hardware.

ACT! 11 is even faster still, but also depends on the hardware it's running on.

Unless running a large number of users, the processor doesn't matter to much... the RAM and the HDD speed can make a big difference

Copper Contributor

Hi sir , Can you pls tell me what is the RAM and harddisk spec will help to speed up ?

Paul  

Copper Contributor

Hi GL, We are using net working. 

I have 2 more question :-

1) By the way since i start to use ACT 1989 , We have suffer a lot on sync . may i know ACT 10 can sync better then old ACT ?

2) I have problem in using this forum , may i know how to display all massage post by me  ? now i use search , for my name " paul yeo " and i look for any reply ? it there a better way.

Paul Yeo

How many users using ACT! on the network? What sort of server?

1. I've been using ACT! since 1987 :-)

ACT! 11 can sync best so far....  but what do you mean by "old ACT!"? Better how?

2.  Maybe http://community.act.com/sage/tracker?user.id=5411