Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Employee left with a remote database on their laptop. Are my records safe?

Accepted Solution Solved
Astute Commentator
Accepted Solution

Employee left with a remote database on their laptop. Are my records safe?

[ Edited ]

Dear ACT Community Contributers,

I regret to inform you of my issue, due mostly to my stupidity.  I provided an ACT 2009 Premium license to a sales person for use on their home laptop computer.  On their computer, I also unpackaged a remote database that synchronizes all contacts both ways with my main database at the office (they can see all my records).

Now that the user (sales person)  is leaving my company.  I want to prevent them from viewing any of the records in their remote database.  The users name is Michelle, and she has Manager permissions.  I may have included access from my Administrator user names in her Remote Database package too, some of which have easy passwords.

The reason I chose Manager for her was that my sales team defines ownership by the Record Manager field, so it was convenient for the user to change that field from Unassigned, to their name (Michelle).

1.  How would you have set this up?

2.  How will the remote database behave from this day forward if I change the username or password to Michelle from the main office side?  Will she still be able to login and see the records currently on her computer even after the sync link is crippled by destroying her username?

3.  Is their any way to fully shutdown a remote database from even opening?

Thank you for your support,

Del

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author delbcj
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Employee left with a remote database on their laptop. Are my records safe?

The first thing you need to do is change their sync sets so they can no longer view any records at all.

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1407...

Click Synchronization Panel from the Tools menu. The Synchronization - Select a Synchronization Task dialog box appears: Click on Manage Sync Set. Then click on Edit Sync Set. Find the sync set of your manager user, and change the records avaiable to nothing. After you have done this, you can go to

Tools | Manage users and change her password. Then you can set her to be inactive/Browse user. This means that:

1.) There will be no records in her database

2.) She cannot login to her database anymore

3.) Her user cannot do anything anymore.

You should change everyone's passwords though, because it is very likely she might know someone else's password anyway.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author delbcj
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

The first thing you need to do is change their sync sets so they can no longer view any records at all.

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1407...

Click Synchronization Panel from the Tools menu. The Synchronization - Select a Synchronization Task dialog box appears: Click on Manage Sync Set. Then click on Edit Sync Set. Find the sync set of your manager user, and change the records avaiable to nothing. After you have done this, you can go to

Tools | Manage users and change her password. Then you can set her to be inactive/Browse user. This means that:

1.) There will be no records in her database

2.) She cannot login to her database anymore

3.) Her user cannot do anything anymore.

You should change everyone's passwords though, because it is very likely she might know someone else's password anyway.

Astute Commentator

rkumar,

Thank you for your help! You put together a very nice recipe to solve my problem and answered my concerns.

The syncing on her remote database will expire in 4 days. I was unsure about when the Remote Database "phones home" to see if the user has privileges to even open the file. I used to think this only occurred when you clicked Synchronize now or according to schedule.

So even if she never gets on the internet and syncs the database again, will she be able to login from her laptop and see any existing records? Or will these time out/lock her out?

Thank you for your suggestions. Del
Copper Super Contributor

The next time she syncs, these changes will be applied. I forgot one additional setting:

Set the RDB to Sync one more time, then disable. That option isstraight from this KB

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1525...

1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Synchronization Panel. The Synchronization - Select a Synchronization Task dialog box appears.
  2. Under the User Tasks box, click Manage Database. The Synchronization - Select a Database dialog box appears:

3. Click the first database in the right pane, and then click Disable Sync from the Admin Tasks box. The following ACT! warning dialog box appears:

4. Click Yes to disable synchronization for this Remote database. The following ACT! information dialog box appears:

5. Click Yes to allow database to sync one last time.
Astute Commentator

rkumar,

Thank you for clearing that up! Let's consider that last sync as the "Sync of Death." It is a sad day when you lose a good sales rep to the competition. I have read up on the KB's for the items you suggested.

Thanks again,
Del