Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Email and Outlook Sync in a WMware VDI Environment

Email and Outlook Sync in a WMware VDI Environment

Hello,

I currently have a VMware VDI environment.  I have a group of users that need access to ACT! email and outlook sync but I do not know how to get it running or what the best practice would be.  I have Windows 7 x32 virtual desktops and I am currently using Sage ACT! Premium 2011 Version 13.1.111.0.  The MS Office installation is native to the virtual machine, including Outlook.  The ACT! software is a streamed thinApp.  I was able to successfully configure the settings once I updated the personal files locations to the user profile which exists on the D drive as a persistant disk.  At this point I would expect the add-in to be available in Outlook but I see nothing.  I do not know how to get the add-in to load seeing that Outlook shows no evidence of the add-in even trying to load.

My goal is to deploy the ACT! thinapp on a per user basis so I can properly manage the licenses that we paid for.  There may be licensing issues that I am not aware of but the streamed thinapp deployment seems to work just fine minus the Outlook add-in failing to load.

If anyone has advice in regards to my method for deployment, licensing, or the add-in I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Ben

Silver Contributor

Re: Email and Outlook Sync in a WMware VDI Environment

I believe that if you were ablt to congue ACT to see outlook, that your problem may lie with the ACT plugin within outlook.  Do you see the plugin there?

Normally, and in my experience, you must have both ACT and Outlook on the same machine, meaning you would need to stream both programs via your thin client.  Also, you will need to make sure the ACT.Outlook service fires whtn you start SageACT.exe from your published application.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Re: Email and Outlook Sync in a WMware VDI Environment

The add-in does not appear at all within Outlook.  I have fixed issues where the add-in will fail to load but in those cases I saw the add-in listed in Outlook.  Not seeing the add-in displayed at all has stumped me.

I do see the ACT.Outlook.Sync process presented by the Task Manager as "Sage ACT Outlook Sync.exe".  Does this sound like the service you are referring to?

When you say I will need to stream both programs via the thin client, do you mean I should stream both as thinapps?  Or do you mean I should have both installed natively to the virtual machines?  I am going to be testing out at least the native installs soon.  I would like to deploy ACT! as a thinapp because I do not know any other way to easily move licenses around.  If the native install works and we cannot find a way to stream or make a dynamic deployment model I will have to give up on my method.