Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Email Template - Asking For My Email Credentials/SMTP Server

Copper Contributor

Email Template - Asking For My Email Credentials/SMTP Server

I have created several reusable templates that we use when sending out specific emails.  This is the first time I'm attempting to use the Mail Merge functionality so we can use the email templates.

When I go to try my first mail merge to send out an email, it asks me for my email account credentials and SMTP server info.  I'm using Microsoft Exchange through my firm - how do I find out what the smtp server address is?

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Email Template - Asking For My Email Credentials/SMTP Server

Are you using web or Premium desktop?
If Premium Desktop, you can also use Outlook.

If you need to use SMTP, then you need your Exchange Admin to enable SMTP and give you the details ... The SMTP address will usually be the Exchange server itself, but it has to be on port 25 with the built in client
Copper Contributor

I'm using Premium Web. I guess my question is why can't Act Web simply populate a new compose email window with the template? If it can send out emails using Outlook from Web Premium, it seems to extend that functionality to also include a content in the email box from a template shouldn't be that difficult.

This is extremely disappointing to say the least as most users are on Web version. Are there any ways to store the templates directly in Outlook as opposed to in Act? Using Forms functionality of Outlook?

Thanks
Administrator

I don't know the technical details behind this, but I would imagine there is a limitation with merging a template document into a new outlook message via the web interface that makes this less optimal, and therefore the developers have opted to offer a direct SMTP sending method for merged templates instead.
In a desktop installation of Act, the template will first be opened and merged by Word in the background, which is then passed on to Outlook as a new message with the text fully merged. There must be a limitation in one of the operations in this chain of events that in not compatible with the web interface.

If you aren't able to use SMTP sending, then a workaround could involve merging to Word, and using the Word "Send to Mail Recipient" function. This let's you send the contents of the Word document as the body of an email message.

More info on enabling this feature in this: http://www.msoutlook.info/question/144

Platinum Elite Contributor

How many are you trying to send to?
Another option might be to create the templates in AEM and send that way?