Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Email Attachments converted to Winmail.DAT

Avid Listener

Email Attachments converted to Winmail.DAT

[ Edited ]

Since installing Act 2008, I have had others complain that attachments that I send them are converted to Winmail.DAT files.  It doesn't happen all the time, however.  One recipient in particular is on AOL.  We are using Outlook 2003 as our email client, and have the Act! address book set up in Outlook.

I looked into the problem and have done all the usual stuff: tried sending as a plain text file, checked the defaults everywhere in Outlook to confirm that all emails were sent as either HTML or plain text (no RTF), etc.  Nothing has worked.

I came across one thread elsewhere that indicated that there may be a problem with a DLL that Act installs that causes a problem in how Outlook reads the email address "wrappers" from the Act! address book.  We're running Act Premium v. 10.1.199, I don't know if the updates would make any difference.

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks -

Patrick

Message Edited by patvaughn on 07-23-2008 04:54 PM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Email Attachments converted to Winmail.DAT

[ Edited ]

The installation of ACT is coincidental, as this problem has existed with Outlook for a few years.

Please read the following Microsoft Support document for resolutions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q138053/

Some of this information you may have come across already, but it can also have to do with the recipient's choice of email client software. You mentioned an AOL user received the converted attachment regularly - what program was he using to read email? I know a client of mine also used to get alot of these attachments using Eudora.

Kq\

Message Edited by kquigley on 07-23-2008 07:44 PM
Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Avid Listener

Re: Email Attachments converted to Winmail.DAT

I've tried everything in the Microsoft support document, to no avail.  Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help!

Patrick