Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Editing the template for a label - how to make the printed label look tidy for the Address fields that contain no data?

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Editing the template for a label - how to make the printed label look tidy for the Address fields that contain no data?

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me with editing the template for a label?

I’m working on a label template, and am looking to include seven fields on the label, these seven fields being:

Name of contact
Address 1
Address 2
Address 3
City
County
Postcode

However, for some contacts, there is no data for the Address2 and Address3 fields. I was hoping that when I printed the labels, there would not be any untidy gaps for Address2 and Address3, and that it would all look seamless. Instead, I get big gaps on the label for those contacts who don’t have any data for the Address2 and Address3 fields.

Am thinking there’s a check box or something basic that I’m missing here.

I’m using Act! Premium Version 16.2.14.0.

Thanks.

Grant.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author grantmillar
‎11-19-2015 06:13 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Editing the template for a label - how to make the printed label look tidy for the Address fields that contain no data?

There's more to it that the collapse if blank property. That property is disabled if adjacent fields vertically overlap so field size and placement becomes very important. A further complication is that the editor works in hundredths of an inch (or millimeters in metric) but the actual report engine works in twipes and the editor measurements get converted for the actual report template code. Occasionally fields that appear to not overlap in the editor actually slightly overlap in the report template code. If encountered, one fix is to leave a 0.01 gap vertically between fields. I typically edit the report template code to eliminate the overlap.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

Re: Editing the template for a label - how to make the printed label look tidy for the Address fields that contain no data?

[ Edited ]

I tried checking the 'Collapse if blank' check box in the 'properties' dialog box for each of the chosen data fields, as advised on this page:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13981/~/how-to-customize-labels-in-act!

...but it still didn't work.

Am flummoxed!

Solution
Accepted by topic author grantmillar
‎11-19-2015 06:13 AM

There's more to it that the collapse if blank property. That property is disabled if adjacent fields vertically overlap so field size and placement becomes very important. A further complication is that the editor works in hundredths of an inch (or millimeters in metric) but the actual report engine works in twipes and the editor measurements get converted for the actual report template code. Occasionally fields that appear to not overlap in the editor actually slightly overlap in the report template code. If encountered, one fix is to leave a 0.01 gap vertically between fields. I typically edit the report template code to eliminate the overlap.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Hi Roy,

Thanks for your reply - is very helpful and much appreciated..

Crikey, I never realised there was so much to it!

Looks like the problem might be with overlapping fields (i.e. the rectangular text boxes)

I noticed that, by default, these rectangular text boxes are rather large. I wonder if just making these rectangular text boxes smaller by dragging the handles might work...

You mentioned editing the code for the template. Is there a 'view code' tab that I'm missing somewhere?

Grant.

Copper Contributor

Roy,

I know it's possible to create a new label template and that an existing label template can be edited, but do you know if it is possible to copy an existing label template, please?

I've done this before with Microsoft Word documents and other report templates, but I can't see an obvious way of copying an existing label template - oh, and giving it a new name so that I don;t accidentally over-write any label template files!

Thanks.

Grant.

Bronze Super Contributor

Hi Grant,

You can find the 'lbl files in the Act! Reports folder - eg.

C:\Users\David\Documents\ACT\ACT Data\Databases\(database name)-database files\Reports

Then you can copy and rename the relevant 'lbl' file.

I'm in the UK so see my contact details below and give me a call if you want to discuss this.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

Hi David,

Thanks for your post.

Oh, great tip, thanks! (<:

I've just been to that folder location you told me about and have made a copy of the original label file. So now I can play round and make some changes to the copied file, until I get the label printing in the required manner.

And thanks for posting your contact details.

Will do some more experimenting to try and work things out, before doing the 'phoning a friend' thing.

Best regards,
Grant.

The easy way is to open the label you want to edit for editing and immediately do a Save As with a new file name.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

Roy's so correct - my solution was the 'techie' way - best to do what Roy says.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

Thanks for that, Roy.

Have just tried that and it's a great short cut!