Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Edit Date problems

Copper Contributor

Edit Date problems

Find I need some more flexibility with the Edit Date field.  I have been using it to monitor contacts in my DB to not ones that I have not contacted however whenever I do a major piece of merging, which tends to touch every contact, the Edit Date field is updated (an incorrect update for my purposes).

A couple of ideas to solve this.

Am I able to turn off the Edit Date field ?  So when I am about to do a big data merge I can turn the field off and it would artificially change the Edit Date field.

Alternatively, can I set up a new field, that will act like the Edit Date field in so far as changing to the current date when anything in the contract is updated, but one I can turn off or change it parameters when I go to do a big data merge ?

Silver Contributor

Re: Edit Date problems

The Edit Data (like the Create Date) are system fields and there is no way to modify it.  Also, there are not build in field definitions which allow a similar type of behavior.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

That is a bugger.  Even when I try to import data into the Edit Date, it is still overwriten by the current date.

So there is definitely no way to create a similar field that will change when something in the contact is modified.   

Silver Contributor

Not out of the box.  THere may be addons that change fields based upon a criteria being met.  Northwoods Sales Automation Manager (Sam) or DesignR1 AutomatoR1 may do something like this.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Have sort of foudn a work around (though it is not working just right).

Ok here is what I do.

I have a list of contacts which have the correct edit date information.  I use Oakmerge however instead of merging the information into the database when there is a match, I tell Oakmerge to delete the contacts when it sees a match.

I then grab that same list and do a simple import using the stock standard ACT import.  This will preserve the edit date information as per the original csv file.

Unfortunately at the moment my Oakmerge is playing up and won't delete the contacts.  It says it is deleting them when it does its thing, however no changes are made to the databsae.  Perhaps a permissions thing, not sure.  Will be in touch with the Oakmerge people today to see what's up with it.

Downside is the loss of any other information about the contacts such as tasks, opportunities etc.