Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

EXTREMELY frustrated- restoring ACT 2011 to new computer

EXTREMELY frustrated- restoring ACT 2011 to new computer

I have ACT 2011 on my home computer but it is too hard to maintain and need to load it on my work computer as well (I can always backup from there).  I have registered on the new computer, backed up on my home PC, copied to an external drive and moved that backup to a folder on my work computer.  When I go to restore from ACT on the work PC, the only thing visible is a zip drive and it will not restore from that.  To make matters worse, it copies the entire string from my home computer to where the backup is but when I go through everything, I can't find it!  I checked "Properties" so I know the data is there, I just do not know how to restore.  This program should only be licensed for my home and work PC's and I believe I can do so on 3 computers with the version I have.  Can anyone help me get this thing up and running on my work PC and give me insight as to the best way to back up and save so I never have to have this problem again?

Thanks in advance.

Hank

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: EXTREMELY frustrated- restoring ACT 2011 to new computer

You need to do Restore As and give the database a new name. The report only can be used on the computer where the backup was created.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you Roy.  But now I have the problem of having it named one thing on my home PC and another on my Work PC.  How do I merge changes if they are made on one PC vs the other if the DB's are different names?  Do I really just have to stick with making changes in one only?

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

What you need to do is set up synchronization between the two computers: one with the host database and the other with a specifically linked remote database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129