Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

EMAIL - CONFIDENTIALITY AND FILE SIZE

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

EMAIL - CONFIDENTIALITY AND FILE SIZE

I just sent this in as a suggestion. I am posting here so that those who may not know about this issue can't head off some trouble before it happens.  Also, if you think it is a good suggestion, please send in your suggestion so that it will increase the chances of it becoming a new feature.

There are a couple of concerns I have with how eMails are currently managed with ACT. First and most importantly is a confidentiality issue that puts the company at risk for a potential law suit.  Second, a synchronization problem because of the large amount of files that must synchronize. The first issue - confidentiality.  Currently, all users see other users' history.  There is not choice in that.  I believe there should be.  I believe the ONLY PERSON who should have access to history is the administrator permission level. Not even managers.  This is critical.  Here is an example:  Bobbi is a manager. She is in charge of training a new agent, Joe.  Joe is not working out so well. Bobbi and I trade confidential eMails back and forth. If one of us forgets to mark the message private, ALL users, including Joe can see that eMail!!!  That's crazy!  And that is just one small example. What if it's an eMail from or to HR and someone forgets to mark a confidential eMail private???? Possible solutions: 1) The best solution is this: Users can't see other users’ profiles at all - if they aren't put into the sync set, they don't see their profile on their database. 2) Allow a default choice that eMails are not kept in a user’s history.  There is no reason for me to have a history of eMails in the user history file. Only the recipient file if it is a client/prospect.  The problem with this solution is that if #1 above isn't the solution, even though the eMail history isn't kept in my file, it will still be viewable in the recipient’s history. The second issue with how eMails are currently handled is a synchronization issue. Example, I send a quote via eMail to a prospect with an attached document of 1 MB.  That is retained in the prospect history. That is important. But, why add it to my history?  I don't need it there. So, now the space has been doubled.  Or, another scenario is one where I have a client who has also become a friend. He likes to get these humorous eMails from me with attachments that are for adult eyes only. Some are 6 MB or so. Those, I don't need in his history or mine. Not only is that a size/sync issue. But, it is also a confidential issue because all users can see the history of my eMails.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author tbudde
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: EMAIL - CONFIDENTIALITY AND FILE SIZE

Yes, it's actually something I'm trying to solve with one of my clients as well.  They had/have the same issue of admin emails being seen by all users.  What we've done in the interim is for the employees of this company (i.e. "users") is to remove their email addresses from the E-Mail field in ACT!.  The Act.Outlook.Service.exe process will not find a match, and therefore not attach the traffic occurring within company employees (unless they manually attach).

What we are seeing is those messages that are failing show up in the "Not Attached Messages" window in the progress window.  Now, the issue we have is those messages stay in the queue, and the Act.Outlook.Service.exe process will continually attempt to find a match.  Every so often we will just have to go to the folder where these temp files are contained and delete them.

So, the people at ACT! *do* need to do two things:

1.  Allow for an exception list to not record emails, or at least the message body

2.  Have a tool/process to clean up the history queue every so often.

Hope this helps...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Elite Contributor

T-Bud -

With all due respect, you might want to explore the help files.  There are:

- options (i.e. "choices" as per your email) to keep history private for both incoming and outbound emails, or just one or the other

- options to specify what you want recorded - none, subject, subject & message, subject/message/attachments

check it out...

Richard Brust
Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks, Richard.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  But, I don't think those options address the problem. The only option that would take care of the confidential problem is to ALWAYS remember to mark it private before sending. And that's not something I want to rely on when there are hundreds of thousands of dollars at risk for a liability suit. Not to mention the possibility of embarassment - what happens if I send a sexy eMail to my GF who also works here and I forget to mark it private?  Now it is in the history of both of our user files for the company to see. 

We are in the business of commercial lines insurance. So, keeping a record of all eMails to clients with attachments is important.  If I could set eMail preferences at the contact level, that would be helpful. But, it's not. So, we need to choose to save all eMails and all attachments on all contacts.

We also send several eMails back and forth to our agents as we review their proposals before they are sent to clients. So, those eMails are adding up to a lot of memory in history even though we don't need them in history.

So, if I am not seeing something here, please let me know.  Otherwise, I am still believing there is a HUGE need for an new way to handle eMails.

Thanks!

Todd

www.onyxmoney.com

Nickel Elite Contributor

There is an option in Outlook when you are composing a message to mark it private or public, and to keep subject, message, attachment, or any combination.  This is approaching the issue from Outlook, which is fine, but does have the issues you describe, where the user has to remember to do *something* to make it private.

However, there is also these same options within ACT! that apply the settings to the database.  I would approach it from ACT! - keeping emails private - and then use Outlook for the exceptions - i.e. making it public.

Go to Tools>Preferences, then the eMail tab.  Go through the setup again and look for the checkboxes to make things private.  This way, the private option is the default, the users don't have to change anything in a new message window to keep it private.

Hope I explained this correctly...

Richard Brust
Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks Richard for your input. But, because it is critical that all customer eMails are saved, I can't leave it up to "user error" to not save them. And because it is also critical that confidential eMails aren't seen by other users, I can't leave that open to the possibility of "user error" either. The only solution is for ACT to add a feature that satisfies both needs.  Or, I will be having to go to another solution once I get to about 10 users. My plan is to get to over 200 users before I have to make a move to another solution. Hopefully, other users see a need as I do. Or, it probably won't end up being an improvement for the future. Certainly, it is something that anyone with multiple users should be made aware of before they find out the hard way. Don't you think?
Solution
Accepted by topic author tbudde
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Yes, it's actually something I'm trying to solve with one of my clients as well.  They had/have the same issue of admin emails being seen by all users.  What we've done in the interim is for the employees of this company (i.e. "users") is to remove their email addresses from the E-Mail field in ACT!.  The Act.Outlook.Service.exe process will not find a match, and therefore not attach the traffic occurring within company employees (unless they manually attach).

What we are seeing is those messages that are failing show up in the "Not Attached Messages" window in the progress window.  Now, the issue we have is those messages stay in the queue, and the Act.Outlook.Service.exe process will continually attempt to find a match.  Every so often we will just have to go to the folder where these temp files are contained and delete them.

So, the people at ACT! *do* need to do two things:

1.  Allow for an exception list to not record emails, or at least the message body

2.  Have a tool/process to clean up the history queue every so often.

Hope this helps...

Richard Brust
Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks!  That is the best work around I've heard so far!  I will do the same. Where is that temp folder where I need to delete those eMails?
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can actually do it two ways:

• Right click on the error icon in the taskbar and choose "Show Progress".  Highlight message(s) in the "Not Attached" tab, and click Remove.
  • But, you should know where they are anyway, and on XP, it's C:\Documents and Settings\%user%\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Web\HistoryQueue, and then also one folder lower called Holding.  [ACT for Web could also be ACT for Windows]

A very detailed explanation is on my blog @ http://www.rbrdatasolutions.com/ACTblog/

Good luck...

Message Edited by rbrust on 02-19-2009 10:26 PM
Richard Brust