Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

E-mail contact recording anomaly

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

E-mail contact recording anomaly

A user reported to me this morning that one e-mail sent via Outlook (MS Exchange account) appeared in Act with all Act contacts in the contact box. I took a look, and this is exactly how it looks. However, the e-mail in Outlook correctly shows that it was sent only to the one Act contact that resulted in the message being recorded in the first place. This has not happened with any prior or subsequent messages.

Any ideas?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brain
‎11-14-2016 07:33 AM
Administrator

Re: E-mail contact recording anomaly

[ Edited ]

Hi Brain,

The result type "E-mail Attachment" is used when a message has been attached manually using the Quick Attach, or Attach to Act! Contacts features in the Outlook integration. Auto-attached emails show with the result type "E-mail Sent".
This suggests that the anomaly is down to a case of user error, where the user has chosen to attach the history to a range of contacts.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi Brian, 

Are you saying that in the Act History entry for the email that was sent, every contact in the database appears in this contact field?

Act!_2016-11-11_17-17-09.png

Clicking the Contact button to the right of the field will show a list of the contacts included:

Act!_2016-11-11_17-24-03.png

The list on the left shows every contact in the database. The list on the right shows which contacts this History entry has been recorded against.

What is shown in the list on the right in your users scenario?

Copper Contributor

OK. So it may not have been every contact in the database, but it does show 164 of them on the right under Selected Contacts when I click Contacts on this history item. There are 1696 contacts in the DB.

Note that Result for this one history item is EMail Attachment, not EMail. So I suspect that means something important as well.

I would not rule out user error here...  This is all fairly new to us, and I am just the setup (IT) person, not an end user.

Solution
Accepted by topic author Brain
‎11-14-2016 07:33 AM
Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi Brain,

The result type "E-mail Attachment" is used when a message has been attached manually using the Quick Attach, or Attach to Act! Contacts features in the Outlook integration. Auto-attached emails show with the result type "E-mail Sent".
This suggests that the anomaly is down to a case of user error, where the user has chosen to attach the history to a range of contacts.

Copper Contributor

Thank you, Gary.

Agreed. User error seems to be the only likely answer here. Thank you for clarifying how that attachment is done.