Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Dynamic Members - Error?

Dynamic Members - Error?

Hi

I am using Dynamic Groups as part of our internal admin process of inviting clients to an event. I have created a number of YES/NO Fields which are ticked clients go through various stages of our internal invite admin process. I tested the Dynamic Groups to make sure the various criteria for each of the dynamic groups worked and they did - contact moved to the correct groups based on what YES/NO field (or combination of fields) was ticked / not ticked.

However, now I have gone live with it I have noticed a problem. At this beginning stage of our invite process, three of the Dynamic Groups should all have the same number of contacts in them (the contacts should all be the same) and I have noticed that 2 of the groups have 17 less contacts than the 3rd group which has 215 contacts in. The same 215 contacts should be in each of these 3 dynamic groups based upon any one of 4 YES/NO fields (A, B, C, or D) being ticked and 1 other YES/NO Field (E) being unticked.

I have looked at these 17 contacts to see if there was any manual errors with the data inputted or any pattern of why these contacts were missing compared to the contacts there have been grouped correctly but there is no pattern. The interesting thing is when I go into those 17 contacts and tick the E YES/NO field and then untick it, the Contacts then show up in all 3 Dynamic Groups OK!

I thought this might just be a glitch but when we add more contacts to the process, the same thing happens to a small proportion of them so we do not have the confidence that the Dynamic Groups are going to automate the grouping process for us.

Has anyone come across this problem? Or any suggestions?

Many thanks

Silver Contributor

Re: Dynamic Members - Error?

My first sugestion would be to take another look at the dynamic group criteria.  Start Simple, assure yourself that it is working, then gradually add more criterial. Also, use the preview button to verify your results before you exit the group criteria window.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Hi Jon

Thanks. I have just tried that. I stripped all the criteria back and added them one by one and used preview but those same contacts still come up as missing. I then looked at one of the contacts and again ticked the E YES/NO field and then unticked it and went back to look at the Dynamic Group membership and that contact is now correctly part of all 3 Dynamic Groups....however the other missing ones are still missing from 2 of the dynamic groups. It seems very strange to me.

Paolo

Platinum Elite Contributor

I would have to guess that you have a logic flaw in the group criteria or misplaced parenthesis for grouping criteria.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Roy

Sorry for not responding soon - was out out much of last week.

I have checked through the logic flow in the groups criteria and the parenthesis placements but cannot see where this disparity is coming from:

The Group criteria for my "Badge Not Printed" group is as follows and contains 232 contacts:

(...Type=Contact.... Field Name=TUESDAY....Operator=Equal To....Value=True...Or

Type=Contact.... Field Name=WEDNESDAY....Operator=Equal To....Value=True...Or

Type=Contact.... Field Name=THURSDAY....Operator=Equal To....Value=True...Or

Type=Contact.... Field Name=UNSURE....Operator=Equal To....Value=True....)...And

Type=Contact.... Field Name=Badge Printed...Operator=Equal To....Value=False....End

The Group criteria for my "Confirmed" group is as follows and contains 258 contacts:

Type=Contact.... Field Name=TUESDAY....Operator=Equal To....Value=True...Or

Type=Contact.... Field Name=WEDNESDAY....Operator=Equal To....Value=True...Or

Type=Contact.... Field Name=THURSDAY....Operator=Equal To....Value=True...Or

Type=Contact.... Field Name=UNSURE....Operator=Equal To....Value=True....End

I have visually gone through all the Confirmed contacts and all of them have their "Badge Printed" field unticked (therefore "False". I cannot see why there should be a difference in contact #s in the two groups.

Paolo

Platinum Elite Contributor

Off hand I don't see any problem but it could be a result of database behaviour. In writing VB scripts for reports I've run into a condition that may be the cause of your pfoblem. In testing for a value I find that Null (no entry) isn't always treated as False. For new contacts the field show set an initial value of No (False) but contacts that were already in the database when the field was added may not be set to the initial value. For you information the values stored in the database are 0 (False) and -1 (True). You could also try Yes and No.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129