Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Dynamic IP Address Woes - Synchronization

Dynamic IP Address Woes - Synchronization

We have a company where we all work out of our homes, but need to sync to the master database, which is, unfortunately at a location that cannot get a static IP address.

After MANY go-arounds with Act Support trying to get Internet Sync working (this seems like a very "new" method to them that they haven't quite worked out all the kinks from), they switched us to Network Sync using the IP address.  This works fine, except for the fact that the IP address changes on the master database all the time.  A real pain.

So... we got a domain name using no-ip.com's free service, that allows a static domain name to always be able to find our dynamic ip address on the master database machine.

Unfortunately, again, ACT! doesn't seem to support entering a domain name in the Network Sync windows.... or so it seems.

Has anyone else done this (used a domain name) succesfully?  The reason I say "so it seems" is that our first attempt on one of the client machines seems to have disabled the remote database.  Synchronize Now is grayed out and when we did try syncing the first time it said "Remote Database is Disabled".  Huh??

Now I really thought I somehow hosed it by using the domain name but I had another client try it and it *started* to sync but then failed in the end, so I have no idea what's going on.

I'm very good w/port forwarding and setting up holes in our firewall/router, so that's not the problem we're having (even though ACT! support seems to think that's it every time we call, until I show them with a telnet to our ports and they work).  Plus, the fact that we ARE able to synchronize using the IP proves we don't have that issue.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from anyone else who may have gone through these issues and perhaps solved them?

Would love any input you can provide.

Thanks!

Re: Dynamic IP Address Woes - Synchronization

If you want to use a service like no-ip, then you need to use internet sync.  What issues were you experiencing with internet sync?

It was strange... we had everything working in terms of networking, but the sync would always fail, no matter what we did.

We could telnet in to all the ports that needed to be open (80, 65100), but the thing just would not sync.  Clients always failed on attempts to sync.

As soon as they (Act Support) switched us to Network Sync using IP addresses, BAM!  Worked like a charm... except for the dynamic IP issues, but that's workable, even if slightly painful. :-)

What error were you getting when syncing?

Hmm... can't remember exactly.  It was something like "Unable to sync".  That was after maybe a 10 second pause where I assume it was *trying* to connect.

The "progress" window that shows you what steps it's on (at least the one that shows up during Network Sync) never started.  I can only assume the same window would appear during Internet Sync, but we never saw it even start.