Do you mean 

Dynamic Group to track customer purchases

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Dynamic Group to track customer purchases

Act! Premium V17.2.217.0

5 Users, shared database

Windows 7

We have a number of customers who purchase a seasonal item every year between Sept 1 and Dec 31. Sales of this item are logged in as Opportunities Closed-Won.  What we would like to do is create a Dynamic Group that would contain customers who purchased last year within that time frame, but have yet to purchase this year so we could easily see who has yet to purchase.

Having some difficulty setting up the rules to make this happen.  So what we're looking for is Customers with Opportunities from Sept 1, 2014 to Dec 31, 2014 who now have no Opportunities listed from Sept 1, 2015 to Dec 31, 2015.

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author cjcormier
‎12-15-2015 10:21 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Dynamic Group to track customer purchases

Because of the lack of runtime opportunity filters with the ACT! reports any such report would be difficult if not impossible to write, I would do the report with the Durkin Impact reports.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies

Groups can only be used to group together Contact records. This can either be done manually, or it can be done dynamically based off of the value of a Contact field. You can link an opportunity to a Contact's record, but since Opportunities and Contacts are completely different areas of an Act! database, this won't affect any of the fields of the contact, thus you wouldn't be able to set up a dynamic criteria based off of Opportunity data. You may be able to create a series of Advanced queries that create lookups of opportunities based off of multiple field  values. You can learn more about advanced queries here:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26794

There may be a way to do what you're trying to do in a more automated fashion, but since your scenario is rather specific, it might be worth it to you to contact an Act! Certified Consultant (ACC) to discuss what you would like to do. Many of them specialize in getting to know your business so that they can assist in customizing Act! to fit your needs. Should you decide to contact an ACC, you can use this page to find one: http://acc.swiftpage.com/

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com

I don't see how that could be done using dynamic groups. I believe it could be done as a report. The report would give you a dynamic snapshot when it was run but would need to be run periodically to have a current update.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the response.  That's essentially what I've arrived at as well.  A report seems to be the solution, but I'm still running into the same design challenges.

As a temporary measure, we've added a custom field to the Contact page designating last "Actual Close Date." I can then do a Smart Task to alert my sales guys when that field runs longer than 60 days.  That seems okay for now, but it would be nice to be able to produce a "hit list", so to speak.

Solution
Accepted by topic author cjcormier
‎12-15-2015 10:21 AM

Because of the lack of runtime opportunity filters with the ACT! reports any such report would be difficult if not impossible to write, I would do the report with the Durkin Impact reports.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129